And now what did you do TODAY?

morphsci

I might have gotten a red-light violation in Chicago, earlier.  Going with traffic, I was beyond the stop line when the light turned red (really short yellow lights in Chicago, compared to Cincinnati), and instead of slamming on my brakes and then trying to back up in traffic, I just made my, totally safe, turn.  I saw two flashes.  Any Chicagoan think I'll get a ticket?  From the quality of the other drivers and traffic (terrible, including three times when I was honked at because I wasn't willing to run a cyclist over in order to make a turn), I'm assuming the city isn't cutting much leeway for drivers.  What I did was totally fine, here.

I've gotten flashed for stopping a few feet "long" and not gotten a ticket. But that's down here. I have to assume that the people who review the tapes stay a tiny bit conservative for the sake of not drawing too much judicial scrutiny. Right now, most red light cameras in south Florida are suspended after some unfavorable court rulings. Many of the cities that have them have either stopped altogether or are looking for a way to gracefully back out of the scam.  Dunno what the trend is elsewhere, but hopefully, this episode is drawing to a close. 

I've gotten flashed for stopping a few feet "long" and not gotten a ticket. But that's down here. I have to assume that the people who review the tapes stay a tiny bit conservative for the sake of not drawing too much judicial scrutiny. Right now, most red light cameras in south Florida are suspended after some unfavorable court rulings. Many of the cities that have them have either stopped altogether or are looking for a way to gracefully back out of the scam.  Dunno what the trend is elsewhere, but hopefully, this episode is drawing to a close. 

I wouldn't trust Chicago to do the right thing.

I'm expecting to be sent a $100 ticket.

I got my Xbox One setup. Plex is fantastic, much better for my very large media collection than the old Linux stream box I was using.

I love Plex. I have an Unraid server set up and use Plex to stream to everything in the house + iPhones/iPads.

Spent part of the day with the family wearing bike/ski helmets in my sons closet.

Ironically living in Kansas for 5 years we never had any close calls with tornados. One was about a mile away today.

Shit, that is scary.  The weather in Texas and the other states in the great plains has been crazy recently.  Glad you are ok.  

I actually decided to come to the office to work tonight because of the tornado watch (since we basically don't have a good place in the house if a tornado were to hit nearby).  

Edited by shellylh

Shit, that is scary.  The weather in Texas and the other states in the great plains has been crazy recently.  Glad you are ok.  

I actually decided to come to the office to work tonight because of the tornado watch (since we basically don't have a good place in the house if a tornado were to hit nearby).  

According to Centerpoint Energy outage tracker, we don't have any electricity at my house right now.  It's a good thing I went to the office.   Hope all the food I just bought doesn't go bad.  

Edited by shellylh
  • Like 2

I'm safe here.  I just may have to sleep in the office since I don't know when the flash flooding will end.   My great idea of getting work done hasn't worked out so well because I keep checking on the weather (and Netflix).   It sure would be nice to have Tim here at times like these. 

Edited by shellylh

The rain just won't stop - place are getting between 6" - 11".  We are still under a flash flooding warning for another 2 hours.  Sleeping on an exercise mat is not going so well.   I hope my car and house aren't flooded.  Now I wish I would have stayed home (although it is possible we still don't have power).  

Back home. Everything looks ok. I'll probably throw away some perishable items since my guess is that the power was out for most of the night. Next time I'm riding out the tornado watch/storm at home (I still probably wouldn't have slept much here either). Hopefully there is no next time. It was like a mini hurricane but without warning.