Is it a portent of things to come?

Was that our original intent?

Is our scrutiny too intense?

Maybe we should just drop the pretense?

Is this the extent of our knowledge?

Should we all just stand to attention?

Or just mark it for retention?

Edited by Grahame

Went to go look at an apartment to know what kind of options I have.  This one is a new midrise (8 floors) and it is built better than some others around here (steel and concrete with 6" of concrete between each floor instead of the wood frame buildings) and it is in a good location.  I would have to downsize a lot (~1250 square feet) from my current house.  I like the layout of the apartment but don't like the lack kitchen storage.  The appliances are all standard nothing fancy GE appliances but the refrigerator seems pretty good and it has a gas stove (which is a necessity for me).  Also, the wood floors looked like real wood unlike some other places.  The cabinets did seem like they were from Ikea though.  I guess, even though my house is old and falling apart, I have gotten used to having real wood cabinets, being able to pick out my own appliances, having lots of room, etc. Also, I noticed that the dishwasher didn't have an air gap and (I couldn't see behind the dishwasher) I didn't see a high loop for the drain (shouldn't that be required).  In addition, the hoses were made out of plastic.  Perhaps I need to start looking at condos.  I was hoping to live in a nice apartment so that I wouldn't have to deal with fixing things.   

Edited by shellylh

I've thought about that but then you are taking a gamble as to whether the landlord will fix things.  It is probably really expensive to rent a condo that I would be willing to live in.  I haven't looked much.  

There is a building (high rise/condos) down the street from me with some very nice condos available to buy.  It is pretty much the perfect location, perfect size (around 1800 square feet, 2 bedrooms), perfect price, and the condos have a great layout (very open, lots of windows).  It is from around 2000 so it isn't too old.  However, I asked the real estate agent why they are taking so long to sell.  It is because the seriously rich and pretty much insane (he was recently arrested for peeing on the candy at the CVS nearby) serial killer owns three condos at that place.  So if he dies or sells those condos, I would buy one immediately (not one of the ones that he owned - who knows what kind of bodily fluids are embedded in the walls/floors).  However, it seems like a bad idea to buy one right now.  

They aren't selling for lower prices though.  Maybe they will go down in price eventually.  I am not afraid that he is going to murder me but he is very creepy.  I am worried about resale value (if I were to buy now and decided I didn't like it there because of my neighbors, etc.).  

I would also be worried about HOA fees going up if others in the building aren't paying theirs.  For example, is Durst paying his HOA fees (he is in jail on murder charges)?  That is the one thing that is bad about that building:  the HOA fees are currently around $900 a month for the place I like.  Do these things tend to go up a lot over time?  Also, you own very little land when you buy in a highrise.  I am not so sure that is so great for an investment. 

Edited by shellylh

Just my opinion Shelly and I'm very averse to committing to buying a house/condo so take it with a grain of salt - in your current situation and coming from a real house downsizing to a smaller place, I would recommend renting to see how you like (or not) living in an apartment or condo. While one can argue that whatever money you pay for rent could've gone to paying down a house, for your peace of mind and convenience especially with what you have gone thru in the last few months is probably more important than anything else right now, hence renting is probably the better choice for managing your stress level. That way you don't have to worry about the what-if's and if you do change you mind, you're only tied in for a year (or whatever your lease term is).

Again, just my opinion and this is coming from someone who greatly favors convenience and stress-management over ownership and equity-building.

• Like 1

Durst isn't going to murder you, so why don't you take advantage of the low price and buy now/soon?  I don't understand why his ownership of other condos would affect you.

I have to agree with this and look at Robert Alan Durst as an opportunity. Buy now, even Durst is not crazy enough to murder a neighbor, nor does he have any reason to. Buy a stun gun possibly, but I wouldn't be bothered by Durst at all. 

I was a little too flippant, and I'm sorry for coming off harsh.  Still, I really don't think you'll ever see Durst and I doubt that there will be any problem with him paying for his HOA fees, etc.  I also think Raffy makes some really good points, so there is a lot to think about.  I actually think waiting a bit in your house until you reach equilibrium might also be worth considering.

No problem Al.  I will probably start looking at condos with a realtor just to see what is out there but I am not in a rush.  If I find something, my house will sell very quickly (lot value).  There are a couple of other options that I like besides the Durst condos.  This one seemed really great until I realized that it only had stackable washer/dryer and it was on the third floor.  It is also only 2 bedrooms and 3 would be slightly better. I'll probably still look at it though.

http://www.har.com/1004-california--102/sale_79051534

I also like this one but these condos in this building have been on the market since January so I am not sure what is wrong with them. Also, it has an electric stove.   :(

http://www.har.com/2120-kipling--404/sale_16115270

I should stop flooding this thread with my random moving thoughts. 

Edited by shellylh