And now what did you do TODAY?

morphsci

Good luck Jacob!

I had lunch with a dear friend and I'm having dinner with another dear friend tonight... a rare day when I get to have two meals with lovely people. I have not had much of a chance to get out and meet new people over the last two years since I've had the majority of custody of my daughter.  Getting out with two friends in one day is a real treat.  Sometimes it's the simple things that make one's day.

• Like 9

Good luck, Jacob, but you don't need it, you'll be fine!

Good luck Jacob!

I had lunch with a dear friend and I'm having dinner with another dear friend tonight... a rare day when I get to have two meals with lovely people. I have not had much of a chance to get out and meet new people over the last two years since I've had the majority of custody of my daughter.  Getting out with two friends in one day is a real treat.  Sometimes it's the simple things that make one's day.

Your daughter is lucky to have you!  But friends are nice, too.

• Like 2

Jacob - Good luck with the opportunity Friday!

The failed neutral thing is scary. I had that once for the whole house. I had my brain completely powered down and didn't realize what was going on or the ramifications. I had a really odd conversation with the power company guy on the phone.

Me: We're experiencing sags.

Power company guy: OK.

Me: And it's the oddest thing. I'm seeing ten volts high on some of our circuits and ten volts low on the others.

Power company guy (with noticeable change in tone of voice): You have a failing neutral line. We'll send somebody out.

Me: That's great. When will they be here? Will they come tomorrow?

Power company guy: Oh, they'll be there within twenty minutes!

And fifteen minutes later two guys showed up, each driving an impressively enormous power company truck. They wired up a huge temporary umbilical. It was a giant extension cord, really. That they called  it -oddly, I thought - a "ground strap".  They ran it up my oak tree and over my neighbor's road to a transformer.   

It was fun watching them work. They have all the same stuff we do, but on a heroic scale. Solderless connectors that use a hydraulic jack to crimp. Shrink tube the size of a firehose. Stuff like that.

A week later a crew came out with tunneling equipment and  ran completely new underground service to my house.  I'm lucky I called them when I did. Honestly, I just hadn't stopped to think what the high and low voltage must mean.

• Like 1