And now what did you do TODAY?

morphsci

An absolutely rigid work rule that says any beef without a body camera record is an automatic firing offense would be a good start.

And you're not alone, Jacob. The problem nowadays is that it's getting hard to find somebody who HASN'T been abused by the police. It's outrageous.

Edited by CarlSeibert

Everything regarding race and criminal justice in the US is depressing reading.

post-1055-0-26270700-1438366801_thumb.pn

An absolutely rigid work rule that says any beef without a body camera record is an automatic firing offense would be a good start.

Rigid rules rarely solve problems. You can't throw out the baby with the bathwater. Do you want a police officer to not help people because he thinks his camera might fail?

Helping people doesn't usually lead to a brutality beef.

Workers everywhere have to live under a few arbitrary and draconian rules. I doubt there's any job anywhere that doesn't have some. Usually, those rues are to prevent some behavior that is intolerable to the employer. Or to protect the perceived integrity of the product. (A reporter who plagiarizes or takes a bribe or does any of a dozen things that would reflect badly on the institution is summarily fired, for example.)

We, as employers, apparently have trouble finding anything that police do intolerable. We need to step up and establish that there are boundaries and set those boundaries like it's a matter of life and death. We need to make the behavior that leads to deadly horrors just as serious as failing to greet customers when they enter a big box store.

I don't know what happened in Cincinatti, but usually it's shitty police work that leads to abuse and then that goes to shit and somebody gets killed. 99.9% of the time, when you read about some cop killing an unarmed person, there was a piece of really crappy police work at the beginning of the chain of causes. Normally, if an employee does something that starts a slide down the hill that leads to being marched out the door by security, he is well and properly motivated to change course, or bail. Cops today feel no such inhibition. Certainly not if the would-be victim is disenfranchised in some way. And too often, somebody dies for the cop's mistake - or malice. If, say, drivers lived in that environment, we'd never see anybody fired or charged for negligence that leads to an accident. 

I've never seen a cop kill a semi-innocent citizen right in front of me. But I've seen behavior bred of an attitude of absolute entitlement start the chain of events that could lead there literally hundreds of times. Knowing that a recording would lead to certain punishment puts a huge brake on that crap. (And that same recording is a really powerful lifeline in the rare cases when an unjustified complaint is filed. Or would be, if discipline ever happened. ) So, yeah, I'd be perfectly all right with employees knowing that their jobs depend on that camera working and not being tampered with.  

Took my pharmacology final today. Got asked to leave my test because the guy next to me kept looking at my answer sheet and apparently I was trying to help him cheat off of me when I was oblivious to him the entire time. Went straight to the Dean. Complained about it. Got her to pull up the video camera recording in the lecture hall and watched her watch me take my test without any foul play. The guy to my right was looking at both my test and the person to his right. Not sure what will happen to him but got to go back and finish my test in the teachers office which was far more comfortable than the shitty classroom chairs. Could have done without the stress on a hard exam to begin with but glad the summer session is over. Fall classes start on Monday. Hooray...

• Like 4

Body cameras will only show how common this is, and how common it has been. Prosecution, not only of the primary perpetrator but of those who attempt to cover up, is what will stop it. Body cameras help reveal both. As happened here in Cincinnati, as two peripheral officers are being punished now.

I think Cincinnati handled things extremely well, if I may say so.  Other than the initial crime, that is.  They excelled in reporting/transparency and a timely indictment, rather than appearing as a good ol' boys network covering for each other.  Presentation does a lot for the public's peace of mind.

• Like 2

Took my pharmacology final today. Got asked to leave my test because the guy next to me kept looking at my answer sheet and apparently I was trying to help him cheat off of me when I was oblivious to him the entire time. Went straight to the Dean. Complained about it. Got her to pull up the video camera recording in the lecture hall and watched her watch me take my test without any foul play. The guy to my right was looking at both my test and the person to his right. Not sure what will happen to him but got to go back and finish my test in the teachers office which was far more comfortable than the shitty classroom chairs. Could have done without the stress on a hard exam to begin with but glad the summer session is over. Fall classes start on Monday. Hooray...

Lazy proctoring by the professor (or whoever).  When you see something, you let it play out to find the real offender(s), and then nail them hard.  That way none of the nonsense that happened to you occurs.  Cheating in the higher end classes of high school and college has become an art form, and teachers/professors have got to be hawks.

As for body cameras, about friggin' time.  The entire justice system here is just one big clusterfuck.

Got my new Alpine CarPlay unit installed in the Jeep. Initial impressions are only based on some very basic interactions in the driveway, but it seems like it's going to work really well. I found a good spot for the mic, and it will be really easy to add a backup camera down the road. And for now I just have the phone connected in the glove box.

A shot of the harness adapter and radio harness all soldered and heat-shrunk.

3869e06292a93258dc934c4439e653d4.jpg

And the finished product.

c058c7aff703ce4cb2959ea05c47d386.jpg

• Like 2

had to help my brother in law pick up some used cabinets for their basement.  

ridiculously heavy, i don't know how we did it.  

good thing they were on the 2nd floor of some commercial building for us, rather than say, the landing.  

no elevator, of course.  just an incredibly narrow stair well.

haven't had a workout like that in i dont know how long.

Got my new Alpine CarPlay unit installed in the Jeep. Initial impressions are only based on some very basic interactions in the driveway, but it seems like it's going to work really well.

So, I was able to use this more over the weekend, and I have tip say that I'm pretty pleased with CarPlay. Anyone who's used Apple Maps will be familiar with the interface, though the improvement on the use of the added real estate with a 7" screen are noticeable. Siri search had worked so far, dictating and reading back of messages has been successful, and once I got some of the settings dialed in, I'm really happy with how it sounds. Highly recommended!

• Like 1