And now what did you do TODAY?

morphsci

Dan, I followed that advice.  Keep putting in money no matter the ups and downs in the market.   In retrospect, I'm not sure it was the right advice.  Looking back knowing what I know now, I'm inclined to think real estate would have been better to put my $$$$$$$ in, even considering the bubble.  Not saying you're wrong, but I am saying to weigh all your options and be especially critical of common wisdom.  My personal experience is that is not so wise after all.

Of course, if you spelled course with a u instead of an a in such situations, then you would be back on course and would sound much less coarse.  B)

I have coarse/course dyslexia. I also used to have a hell of a problem with the word tomorrow. Probably residual brain damage from the whiskey i was forced to drink at CanJam Chicago. Blame Shelly! 

Thought it was all in bitcoin, platinum and ammo futures anyway? :)

I wish.

I don't think anyone at Tiaa Cref knows how to make a bitcoin wallet.

I cant get over the fact that I wanted to take out $80k a few weeks ago and found out I'm not allowed to touch it as long as I'm employed.

And they call bitcoin a mirage...  I can get my bitcoins in 10 minutes!  I miss so many opportunities it's insane.

I wish.

I don't think anyone at Tiaa Cref knows how to make a bitcoin wallet.

I cant get over the fact that I wanted to take out $80k a few weeks ago and found out I'm not allowed to touch it as long as I'm employed.

And they call bitcoin a mirage...  I can get my bitcoins in 10 minutes!  I miss so many opportunities it's insane.

Resign?  Actually, it is probably bad to take it out since I assume it is pre-tax money you are investing. 

China -- they declared a 7.5?% drop in the Shanghai composite index, and since everyone thought/knows that China is backing the US' debt, and everyone else is pretty much already up shit creek, so no-one can back China if they crash, it'll cause a domino effect.

Theoretically.

It'll bounce back.  It always does.  Except for the one time it won't.  I don't think we're there yet, but I don't think my stock options are ever going to be worth anything ever.

We have discussed the course/coarse thing before, and you suggested that I should keep hassling you about it.  Others probably thought I was being a total asshole, not that there's anything new about that.

Yes we did, and yes I did. I still want to be corrected, otherwise I will repeat the mistake without realizing it. I am in no way offended about being corrected. It really did take me until my mid twenties to get tomorrow right. I kept using two m's and one r.

Being pulled out of school at 9 to work the fields has it's downside.

• Like 5

Dan, I followed that advice.  Keep putting in money no matter the ups and downs in the market.   In retrospect, I'm not sure it was the right advice.  Looking back knowing what I know now, I'm inclined to think real estate would have been better to put my $$$$$$$ in, even considering the bubble.  Not saying you're wrong, but I am saying to weigh all your options and be especially critical of common wisdom.  My personal experience is that is not so wise after all.

I don't think anyone recommends having 100% in stocks when you are nearing retirement... you should slowly go more conservative as you get older. 

Real estate can also be very risky.  I would guess that it might be even more risky. You can always have a percentage in real estate.  I have about 10% of my retirement there.  

Real estate has fucked me way more than the stock market...

I don't believe that stocks are perfect, just that you shouldn't pull out when things are bad, that if you keep investing, it will get better.  I also seriously recommend whole market funds, unless you're a professional.  I used to try and pick stocks, and they kicked my ass every time.  

• Like 1

Yes we did, and yes I did. I still want to be corrected, otherwise I will repeat the mistake without realizing it. I am in no way offended about being corrected. It really did take me until my mid twenties to get tomorrow right. I kept using two m's and one r.

Being pulled out of school at 9 to work the fields has it's downside.

... 'has its down side'. 'It's' is a contraction of 'it is', and therefore would be 'has it is downside', which would of course be rather coarse, as well.

Sorry, couldn't resist. [emoji14]

• Like 6

Hey, I used to get 'tomorrow' wrong, too...and I still have to think about desert/dessert and I still want to spell address 'adress', but I manage to get redress (as in a wound) right every time.  I actually used to be really good at spelling, started deteriorating the more I hung out on the internet.  When one sees words misspelled repeatedly, one stops having the correct spelling firmly in place (in one's memory).

How do you console a grammar nazi?  "They're their there."

fnar fnar fnar

Drove 4 hours each way from Tampa to Miami and back to see a baseball game.  Might just be a bit of a zealot, especially when it comes to watching J.A. Happ pitch.  He's from my home town and went to the same high school I did, and is now on the Pittsburgh Pirates who are in contention for the playoffs.  6 innings pitched, 4 hits, 0 runs, which was good for a win!

• Like 2

Nice, Jacob, good to have the connections.

My wife just had a run-in with her old 3rd party VW service folks.  Old owner sold it to lead mechanic, who has just run the place into the ground.  Some questionable things, work done without authorization (though it would have been approved anyway, that's not the point).  When my wife told me he kept on saying no (blankly) to her questions, I went in with her to pick it up.

Damned if the guy didn't sit there and blankly say no some more, including the question "Don't you care about a 15-year customer who has questions or concerns?"

So new repair service to be found, and this guy will likely be OUT of business very soon.

• Like 1

While we're on a roll here, are you sure you didn't mean lack of "conscience" or "empathy", since the guy had to be awake to say no?

I actually meant consciousness (with some level of exaggeration).  The guy was as close to unconscious as humanly possible while still able to walk and talk!  It was so bizarre that i couldn't even get mad at him....

Edited by skullguise