And now what did you do TODAY?

morphsci

A nice night last night at a neighborhood party/get-together, followed up by a nice day today at a couple lakes in NH.

Obligatory beer on friend's porch @ Blaisdell Lake, served up with 2 grilled pizza's with fresh ingredients and a nice pre-cooked dough.  Prosciutto, cheese and caramelized grilled peaches on one, was that ever delicious!

Later, a nice tour boat ride all around Lake Sunapee

beer at lake.jpg

• Like 2

I've been getting update phone calls from the road rager's insurance company. It seems she has been dodging their calls. They caught her once at work, they said. From then on, she won't pick up. Somehow I'm not shocked. She's probably also on the lamb from the Highway Patrolman. So more nonsense happens, then there will be some sort of trigger event and forty hours later (yes, forty. WTF) they will send out an adjustor or something to pay my claim. The most recent caller was very concerned that I might not be happy about the delay. (OK, not actually. They're really concerned that I might decide to be injured. I get that.) I told her I wasn't going to die of a scratched bumper cover. Frankly, the longer it takes, the more the nasty old person stews about it. I kind of like that.

Cautionary tale: Remember the safety switch failing on my A/C and flooding the carpet? It freakin happened again! That's where I've been the last few days. I have now replaced the switch, built a sump/tray affair under the unit, equipped same with a water alarm, pulled up the carpet in the hallway, removed and replaced the pad, treated everything with mold inhibiter and re-laid the carpet. All during the most humid week imaginable. Much of the time has been spent on hands and knees while wearing a respirator. I was going to make some sort of joke about how it was probably the least fun you could have on your hands and knees wearing a respirator until I realized that circumstances that could require such a thing could only range from awful to really awful. In that light - not so bad.

So treat your air conditioner like it was in a position to do terrible things to you.

The water alarms were only sixty bucks for a pack of five, by the way. I wish I had known THAT sooner!

A nice night last night at a neighborhood party/get-together, followed up by a nice day today at a couple lakes in NH.

Obligatory beer on friend's porch @ Blaisdell Lake, served up with 2 grilled pizza's with fresh ingredients and a nice pre-cooked dough.  Prosciutto, cheese and caramelized grilled peaches on one, was that ever delicious!

Later, a nice tour boat ride all around Lake Sunapee

beer at lake.jpg

Todd and family ,,, NH lakes and Sunapee in particular  have a special place in my memories.  Cheers, and thanks for posting.

Just picked up and disposed of dead roadkill (squirrel) in the street in front of my house (and then saturated the street with bleach).  I was pretty careful to only tongs it with the tongs but I did have to walk close to it to get it so now I am soaking my shoes in bleach in the bathtub.  That should take care of anything on the shoes, right? 

The last time there was a dead squirrel in the street, at least half of it got dragged onto my driveway.  This way I know exactly where it has been.  Why doesn't animal control work at night? :(

You know highrise living is sounding better every minute. 

I now wish I would have left it there until morning since I am now freaked about my shoes being contaminated (and I washed them with my bare hands after spraying them with Clorox cleaner with bleach (which is about 10:1 of water to bleach).  It is probably fine, it just freaks me out.  At least they were Crocs so they are pretty easy to spray down. 

Yes, Dusty, there many things that outweigh cockroaches:  rats and raccoons to name two.  Actually, cockroaches aren't all that bad in the grand scheme of things.  I'm just tired of them being in my house. 

Edited by shellylh

Nothing is going to happen from you walking through that mess or cleaning up your shoes, Shelly.  Bleach will be potent and effective for years so you have more than resolved any concern.

This. Shelly, please think that if all those tiny live beings were so dangerous for our health, we wouldn't have made this far as species. There wouldn't be people alive in most of the planet where sanitary conditions are simply nonexistent.

Edited by Torpedo
  • Like 2

If we never encountered any germs, we'd never build up any immunity. If Naaman were there, he'd have probably taken a bite out of said roadkill, and been just fine to boot. And Grahame would have made a roadkill/searsall/poundcake sammich!

Edited by swt61