And now what did you do TODAY?

morphsci

Seagulls are the worst, they will steal your meat right off the BBQ and poop on your head just for good measure.

This.  For some reason, I find the concept of being pooped on a major criteria for assholicness in creatures, and therefore birds win.  Although plague rats would do it for me too if that were a realistic problem.

Your daughter is a mime trapped in a glass box, already?

Bear attack training. Always get black bears and grizzlies confused though. Which are you suppose to play dead and which protected in a glass box?

There's a small chance that Eleanor and Alaric will be passing through Yellowstone in four days or so. Maybe Esme would be up for a play date? I'll let you know if it happens. Have fun regardless!

Let us know. We're a bit on the whim of other family (Mel's parents 50th Anniversary trip), but later in the week a play date and getting away from family, may be a double-bonus. ;)

Sent in a bunch of rebates for guitar strings (~$360 dollars worth).  Used forever stamps from ~10 years back, I think.

Stopped by the new Mom's Organic Market that opened down here in Woodbridge.  Bought $5 of stuff (I didn't really need anything, but wanted some peppermints).  They gave me a goody bag worth over 5 times that.  Profit!  Also, customer for life.

Discovered Ornery Beer Public House is opening.

• Like 1

Completed the first regional fencing tournament of the season, only seventeen more to go.

Based on todays results, next year's summer olympics and a movie career are out of the question  Lance being 13 years old not withstanding.

At least the wine is good.

• Like 3

So my lightning-blown-up burglar alarm turned out to be just one lightning-blown-up reed switch. Wooot!  

I've known for about forever that my 30 year old alarm panel was a bird's nest of chaos. Never quite got around to making a project of making sense of it. Coming face to face with the prospect of having to swap it out for modern one made me realize it was time to open it up and straighten things out. Label stuff snd whatnot. And I found......

Feast your eyes on this!

birdsnest.thumb.jpg.1b2703c4074280057804

Yes, those are wires "connected" by twisting them together and dangling them (in a metal enclosure). The bird's nest-i-ness is what holds it all together. Apparently it's thing. There must have been a memo that we all missed. The feathery bits are 30 years of dust collected on string reinforcing filaments that were just left dangling when they were put in. There must have been a terrible crimp-on connector shortage in the eighties, too.

I started the afternoon by very carefully replacing all the twist and dangle connections with Scotchlocks so I could pull the bird's nest apart to see what goes where without it falling to pieces. I did Scotchlocks so I can tell those connections apart from the B-splices later.  I'm pretty sure one day I'll need to figure out WHY the twist and dangles were put there in the first place.  (At some point, the alarm perimeter was contracted to exclude the garage. I assume that most of the weirdness was to bypass sensors on the garage doors and window. But that doesn't explain ALL of the strange connections.)

There's no practical way to dress all the cables properly, some being too short snd some being too long, but at least now stuff that goes together is zip-tied together and everything is labeled and there are crimp-ons at the ends of the wires. And a little less dust.

• Like 1

Whoa.

When you're ready for similar but with lethal voltage, you have a standing invite to visit my folks' house.

Me: two orphan calves (we call them the jersey boys) escaped their pen today and we had no idea where they were. My dogs once again justified the expense of their feeding and vet care by finding the calves after dark. They were headed for trouble had they not been found. 

• Like 2

Invited by some friends for a Korean bbq lunch (had i known the name of the restaurant was "Kimchee Tofu House" I may have felt differently) but the food was fun, and it was quiet enough to hold a conversation and catch up. Then after that, some shopping at an Asian Supermarket.Unusual things to look at (non standard flavoured kit-kats anyone?) live fish, or  just salmon heads from the seafood counter. Different. 

• Like 1

I'll always remember the vacation to Jellystone with my family. I was about Esme's age.

I'm sure you guys will feel the same.

Waiting for lots of photos!

Okay you asked for it. Here's a little from Saturday and Sunday. We're a pretty gimpy group, so didn't stray far. For the hell of it shot everything 21:9 (with the Sigma dp2 quattro). Compressed, though still a bit large on the bandwidth front. My apologies.  

TWzCUwP.jpg

NLn7n9x.jpg

CQ0vMlw.jpg

4Pv2370.jpg

jHkhgbc.jpg

HYroO4B.jpg

b4168ln.jpg

vTZUC3A.jpg

Pk7aCqr.jpg

QQtR2lw.jpg

mG2pgvd.jpg

• Like 14