And now what did you do TODAY?

morphsci

In order to take the weight of the plasma, we mounted a sheet of plywood behind the ship lap screwed to the studs. Before we did that, we punched a few holes in the wall to find the studs, drilled some holes for the wires and fished everything through. The stereo is in the base of the built-in on the other side of the wall, in the dining room, which works out well since I can access everything fun the back. All the wiring terminates there, and it looks like a repurposed wood box. I have to say, it's great having everything tucked away and hidden.

• Like 2

Pretty PO'ed right now.

So the apartment next to mine had been vacant for most of 2015 after my former neighbor passed away last year.

Around November, I noticed that furniture and decorations had been placed in the apartment, but my new neighbor was nowhere to be found. Its now almost February and I have still not yet met my new next door neighbor, but I have noticed that occasionally when I walk past the neighboring apartment there are random people sitting in it on the weekends.

I did some research and I found that the apartment next to mine is listed on AirBnB.
https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/10156284?checkin=02%2F03%2F2016&checkout=02%2F04%2F2016&s=EIBTtAXg

I'm really furious. I've only seen this "Courtney" girl once, and that was weeks ago. Everyone else has been the renters. If I wanted to live next to a hotel I would have chosen an apartment next to a hotel. FML.

Thankfully, the law is on my side. Short-term rentals less than 30 days are illegal in the City of Sausalito. As "Courtney" isn't around to talk to, I sent an email to my landlord letting them know the situation.

Hopefully they do something about it, because if I can't get hold of the landlord or "Courtney" by early next week I'm going to the city development department.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TMoney said:

Pretty PO'ed right now.

So the apartment next to mine had been vacant for most of 2015 after my former neighbor passed away last year.

Around November, I noticed that furniture and decorations had been placed in the apartment, but my new neighbor was nowhere to be found. Its now almost February and I have still not yet met my new next door neighbor, but I have noticed that occasionally when I walk past the neighboring apartment there are random people sitting in it on the weekends.

I did some research and I found that the apartment next to mine is listed on AirBnB.
https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/10156284?checkin=02%2F03%2F2016&checkout=02%2F04%2F2016&s=EIBTtAXg

I'm really furious. I've only seen this "Courtney" girl once, and that was weeks ago. Everyone else has been the renters. If I wanted to live next to a hotel I would have chosen an apartment next to a hotel. FML.

Thankfully, the law is on my side. Short-term rentals less than 30 days are illegal in the City of Sausalito. As "Courtney" isn't around to talk to, I sent an email to my landlord letting them know the situation.

Hopefully they do something about it, because if I can't get hold of the landlord or "Courtney" by early next week I'm going to the city development department.

They're listing it for minimum 30 days rental.

[edit - missed your post that beat mine]

Edited by HeadphoneAddict
  • Like 1

Ian, excellent job on the wall, looks great!

As for the Courtney AirBnB situation, good luck, hope it works out OK.  The good news is, I can't imagine the types you DON'T want near you would stay 30 days.  So, it may be less transient types, or not rented at all.  Either case may be OK.

Edited by skullguise

The fact that the landlord responded so quickly at least tells me they took my concern (and their law-breaking) seriously. As well they should. If they don't acquire the proper business license and remit TOT taxes to the City then they've got bigger problems.

A random violation every now and then won't bother me that much. Its more that every time I walked by the apartment next door to mine there were different people sitting in it.

It is in their economic best-interests to get the apartment rented back out to another long term tenant. Rents out here in the SF area have never been higher.

1 hour ago, Hopstretch said:

Think it's reasonable to assume that hundreds of rotating strangers next door are more likely to actually cause a problem over time than one long-term stranger next door. People also generally party way more when they are playing away from home.

This, and BEDBUGS!

• Like 2