And now what did you do TODAY?

morphsci

4 minutes ago, skullguise said:

Jacob, i think you need some boredom in your life.  Between ER visit and stopping attempted break-ins, you're leading quite the lifestyle.....

Just stay safe and "OK" in general.....

^ This! Be careful out there!

Thanks guys. Yeah, a little quiet would be nice, for a while. This might finally get my landlord to install the camera system which he bought, but never unpacked, so at least maybe I have that going for me.  Which is nice.  I'm just glad I stayed up so late watching a movie, last nigh, though the door to my unit would have been a lot harder to get into than the main door, since I have a deadbolt and a bar, and there is no window in it.

• Like 2

Enjoying some regained mobility in my last view days on MV.  The weather has bene cold and rainy, but that never bothers anyone of true island stock.  

I'm going to be driving home on Wednesday.  Just in time for this, my trusty Clickwheel iPod decided it was time to give up the ghost for good.  It hasn't worked outside of the car for months (the moment I disconnect it from power, it forgets it's and iPod and becomes a paperweight) but it'd come back to life when plugged back in.  Now it says "FU, I'm a paperweight" all the time.  The iPod is ancient and doesn't owe me anything, but I'm left with fairly miserable options for the ride hope.  My Fit has a USB port in the glove box and I can attach a thumb drive to it.  My initial tests with that feature left me decidedly underwhelmed (the UI felt like an mp3 player from 15 years ago) but it's better than nothing.  

When I get back on dry land, I have to find a replacement for my 'Pod.  Dock Connector devices have long since gone the way of the Dodo, but I suspect there's an awful lot of legacy infrastructure that still uses it.  There must be an aftermarket of refurb'd iPods and the like.  There's basically two components that need to be replaced: the HDD and the battery.  I'm not adventuresome enough to undertake that on my own, but I'd love to find an outfit that is.

#IOnlyPostHereToComplain

There is a thread on reddit about retrofitting the iPod classic with a SSD, and there was a concern that offered such services.  I have not partook, myself, as I've moved on to the Walkman + SD cards, myself -- you can get a lot of lossless on one 128G card.  I recommend loading up the thumb drive.  I found with some judicious choices, you can get pretty decent results, you just have to be alright with a prearranged playlist.  Like playing one of your showreel shows.  On repeat.  5 times a day.  Which I've done, quite happily (as you know).

It's actually to put YOU in a line-up!

"Swear to God, I was just trying to unlock the door, held my cane up to free my hand to get my keys, but it scratched the lock and door; and this large white dude dressed only in boxers and a wife-beater shirt comes runnin' at me shakin' a pair of headphones and a fountain pen at me....I ran as fast as I could...."

:P

Seriously, though, honorable thing to do NOT to screw someone if you're not sure.

Edited by skullguise
  • Like 2

"I stopped him, isn't that good enough?  That's what cameras are for."

10 hours ago, skullguise said:

Jacob, i think you need some boredom in your life.  Between ER visit and stopping attempted break-ins, you're leading quite the lifestyle.....

Just stay safe and "OK" in general.....

Hey, just think of it as cardio.

• Like 1

On 5/15/2017 at 10:15 PM, skullguise said:

It's actually to put YOU in a line-up!

"Swear to God, I was just trying to unlock the door, held my cane up to free my hand to get my keys, but it scratched the lock and door; and this large white dude dressed only in boxers and a wife-beater shirt comes runnin' at me shakin' a pair of headphones and a fountain pen at me....I ran as fast as I could...."

:P

Seriously, though, honorable thing to do NOT to screw someone if you're not sure.

Justin had the same thought.  I know (unfortunately) everybody who lives in the building!

Edited by EdipisReks1

Jacob, after I was ripped off -twice by the same lady- I had to look at a photo line up. I was clueless. Cops took it in stride.

We are at a trash can painting event at the port with a friend and her daughters. Ran into several old friends. Either this is a smaller town than it seems or we know five million people.

Resized_20170520_113951.thumb.jpg.f76a1a9b356c93174b84ac11e61f9444.jpg

There. PIc inserted. It turns out "we" (Bonnie) won the first place prize for drum-painted-by(nominal)-adult.

I love the smell of syrup in the morning...

syrup20170520_120843.thumb.jpg.ef75d826cebad1c9d0b339271c976800.jpg

Edited by CarlSeibert
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, CarlSeibert said:

Jacob, after I was ripped off -twice by the same lady- I had to look at a photo line up. I was clueless. Cops took it in stride.

It was actually a photo line up for me, too (I was hoping for a real one, so that I could pretend I was in Law and Order).  I didn't recognize shit, and I think it was expected.

Stopped an idiot redneck from pummeling a rat snake with a tire iron today. I was walking out of the bank when I saw a rat snake moving across the parking lot. Then I noticed from the corner of my eye someone running at me. Upon looking over, I saw a man with a raised tire iron running toward the snake (and myself), I jumped in front of the snake and told the guy it was harmless. To which he replied it was a rattlesnake. I assured him it was a harmless rat snake (not even remotely similar looking to a rattlesnake, other than Grey/Brown markings). Mind you, we were within inches of the snake. When he told me I was wrong, I simply picked up the snake and put it's head near my face, pointed out the lack of a viper shaped head, large fangs, and a tail without any possible resemblance to a rattle. He looked at me as if I were an escaped inmate from an insane asylum, then pointed out that it was still a snake, and "the only good snake was a dead snake". I didn't bother with lecturing him on the benefits of the rat snake, and considered my act of saving the snake a victory.

Rat snake...

snake_ERat_Juv_ScottSmith.jpg

Rattlesnake...

download.jpg

Edited by swt61
  • Like 9

4 hours ago, swt61 said:

Stopped an idiot redneck from pummeling a rat snake with a tire iron today. I was walking out of the bank when I saw a rat snake moving across the parking lot. Then I noticed from the corner of my eye someone running at me. Upon looking over, I saw a man with a raised tire iron running toward the snake (and myself), I jumped in front of the snake and told the guy it was harmless. To which he replied it was a rattlesnake. I assured him it was a harmless rat snake (not even remotely similar looking to a rattlesnake, other than Grey/Brown markings). Mind you, we were within inches of the snake. When he told me I wrong, I simply picked up the snake and put it's head near my face, pointed out the lack of a viper shaped head, large fangs, and a tail without any possible resemblance to a rattle. He looked at me as if I were an escaped inmate from an insane asylum, then pointed out that it was still a snake, and "the only good snake was a dead snake". I didn't bother with lecturing him on the benefits of the rat snake, and considered my act of saving the snake a victory.

Rat snake...

Rattlesnake...

download.jpg

You are a fucking hero.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, swt61 said:

Stopped an idiot redneck from pummeling a rat snake with a tire iron today. I was walking out of the bank when I saw a rat snake moving across the parking lot. Then I noticed from the corner of my eye someone running at me. Upon looking over, I saw a man with a raised tire iron running toward the snake (and myself), I jumped in front of the snake and told the guy it was harmless. To which he replied it was a rattlesnake. I assured him it was a harmless rat snake (not even remotely similar looking to a rattlesnake, other than Grey/Brown markings). Mind you, we were within inches of the snake. When he told me I wrong, I simply picked up the snake and put it's head near my face, pointed out the lack of a viper shaped head, large fangs, and a tail without any possible resemblance to a rattle. He looked at me as if I were an escaped inmate from an insane asylum, then pointed out that it was still a snake, and "the only good snake was a dead snake". I didn't bother with lecturing him on the benefits of the rat snake, and considered my act of saving the snake a victory.

Rat snake...

Rattlesnake...

download.jpg

That's awesome, Steve.  I didn't think my opinion of you could go any higher, and then you go and prove me wrong.

• Like 1

I had an amazing first date.  I did blow the entire month's date budget; she is new to the area, and I was showing her around the trendy part of town after drinks, and she said "this place looks good" right before I said "this place is good, but maybe next time."  Worth it; the meal was amazing.  Also, worth it.

• Like 7

I just like snakes. Heck, I like all animals. I have had several pet snakes, most of them corn snakes, which are closely related to rat snakes. And I know how docile both snakes are, and the benefits they provide to farmers. Snakes are beautiful creatures IMO. Once you hold a snake and feel that incredible muscle mass, you are immediately fascinated. I doubt that corn snakes are seeking social interaction, I'm imagining it's our warmth that they like, but I know that they'll happily set loosely coiled around my neck for hours, and I love that. I have held tiny baby snakes, and I have helped hold a 22' reticulated python. I've had no fear of either. I have accidentally gotten close to rattlesnakes, luckily not too close. If you respect their space, there's no reason to fear them either. Though I wouldn't try to interact with a poisonous snake.

Had I not known my love for woodworking early on, I could see myself in the zoology field.

• Like 7

Snakes always freak me out. I grew up with lots of copperheads in the weeds and moccasins in the water. That's really just an excuse for being chicken shit though.

I have gotten super nice to all of gods creatures lately. 

It bums me out when I wash a spider down the drain warming up the water in the shower. 

Mosquitos on the other hand,.. I'm still as blood thirsty towards them as they are towards me!

Meant to say,..

Carl

I'd pay good money for a drum like that!

• Like 2