And now what did you do TODAY?

morphsci

I've thought a lot, today. My wife is genderqueer (she is very open so I don't feel uncomfortable mentioning that) and much more plugged in to things than I am, me at the grand ol' age of 37. She told me the other day that she considers me to be part of the queer community. Some of my friends here, I don't really remember which beyond Shell and Steve, have known for years that I have been, and am, sexually attracted to men. Not every man.  Some men. I think I've mentioned it on occasion.  I've never acted on it, for a lot of reasons.  I'm generally more attracted to women, and I just think that I wasn't part of the right generation to act on a bisexual tendency in a casual way. I don't know if my time has passed, or what.  I know that Colie would support me exploring that aspect of my personality, but honestly I don't really feel that strong of an urge. I'm very happily married, and, even when accepted, I would consider that to be cheating, and I'm not real big on infidelity.  It's still there, though.  I think it has informed other parts of my life, parts that I have acted on in non-sexual ways.

I'm not sure I feel comfortable claiming that I'm part of the queer community.  I "pass."  That's not even the right word.  How can you "pass" when nobody even thinks that you aren't whatever you are "passing" for? I'm certainly a fellow traveler, but that's not the same thing.

I really don't care what I'm called or considered.  I don't really consider this a coming out.  It would be a shitty one, if it were.  I also know that this is in a public forum, so don't worry that I've put this in the wrong place. I just kinda feel like I should do something, just for myself. Talking openly feels like doing something for myself.

Edited by EdipisReks1
  • Like 15

2 hours ago, ktm said:

The Rendezvous never clicked with me. 

Commisary BBQ in Germantown- good BBQ in the Memphis area.

The ribs are much moister and meaty. And a round of Gus's 

chicken always hits the spot.

I'm just 20 years out of date on local restaurants, and Rendezvous is good and everyone knows where to find it.

On 2/14/2018 at 9:26 PM, grawk said:

Rendezvous is kinda touristy, but I really liked it when I lived there.  Great ambiance, the ribs are excellent, and the ham sandwich was worth dying for.

We had a post match team dinner there and I must say the food was awful. The ribs,brisket and chicken tasted like regional airport food. I would not recommend this place to anyone.

But on a somewhat brighter note, Lance with his team mate Ilya.

image.thumb.png.fc7769b8742c5e8314d6e9b605759dd6.png

• Like 11

This is actually for tomorrow. My wife runs https://www.brendoncare.org.uk/ as CEO. Their patron is HRH The Countess Wessex, wife of Prince Edward, youngest son of the Queen.

So tomorrow we're off to Bagshot Park (their home) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bagshot_Park as a fundraiser for my better half's latest project https://www.brendoncare.org.uk/care/our-care-homes/otterbourne-hill .

Dinner for 42, with five great and good expected to fork out UKP150k. The ones that could not make it, chipped in UKP10k.

Should be interesting!

I'll let y'all know what it is like.

• Like 5

Well, that was fascinating. There were people there who had indeterminate but massive wealth. Founders of hedge funds, international road and infrastructure construction, bankers and so forth.

The Countess Wessex was both charming (she was in PR before she married Edward) and disarming. I had the whole "Your Royal Highness" thing worked out in my head, but she totally threw me by coming into an entrance behind me, and I was the first person she saw in a full room - put her hand out for a handshake and said "Hello - delighted you could come". You could almost hear me brain rattling around wondering what had just happened; I think I babbled something. Carole said "Yes - that is absolutely typical of her. She is completely not up herself, unlike Prince Charles who gets really upset if you don't follow protocol"

The house was built in the 1880's for Queen Victoria's youngest son, who died in the 1940's, after which the house spend long periods unoccupied, and of course progressively degraded. Took several million to restore. We had dinner in The India Room, which is lined with carved paneling in the Indian style.

Actually everyone was really good company. Had a chat with Susan Hampshire, who has aged really well (no facial work), and still has the glorious honey-like voice from TV and film. Impossible to think she's now 80. 

It was only afterwards that it was found that five of the ultra-wealthy had chipped in £25k each, and two substantially more. Sort of as loose change. One guy, a self made man from Mauritius, has pledged to become a philanthropic fund raiser for Brendoncare.

Quite an evening!

• Like 8

This has been a very full few days, to put it mildly! Looking forward to a rest, frankly :lol:

Today to see Julius Caesar at a new Theatre not far from Tower Bridge in London https://bridgetheatre.co.uk/whats-on/julius-caesar/

With a great cast including Ben Wishaw (Q in the latest Bond movies) as Brutus and David Morrissey as Mark Anthony. Absolutely stunning day out with first rate actors.

• Like 3

Last night Stretch and I met the elusive @riceboy at SFJAZZ for drinks and a show last night. We saw Abdullah Ibrahim do a tribute to Hugh Masekela's band Jazz Epistles. The octet last night did two hours and fifteen minutes straight with many solos, repeated refrains, and Ibrahim just didn't seem willing to stop, even his insistence that all the other members took multiple bows at the end. It was good stuff from great musicians and not one word was said. We had a snort of Laine's smooth as silk Glen Grant 18 you while walking down the street to Absinthe for a late supper to cap a very nice evening. 

It was great to finally meet you Laine!  Now don't be a stranger virtually on HC or IRL! 

• Like 15

I come to my home town today. If someone said "you are going to miss this place" a year ago, I'd not believe that.

In Istanbul, noone ever make eye contact when you are passing by them. In here I couldn't walk 100 meters without saying "hello".

I really love Tavşanlı... Soon I'm going to send genuine Tavşanlı roasted chickenpeas to you! As a gift ofc. :)

• Like 6

I signed a lease on a house in San Rafael this afternoon.

I'm excited... I've never had my own house before. Since college I've lived in a series of apartments.

I still can't quite wrap my head around the fact that I'm not going to be sharing walls with anyone anymore.

• Like 15