And now what did you do TODAY?

morphsci

7 hours ago, TMoney said:

Being on a jury is interesting to do once, but something I never need to do again.

Agreed here.  I was chosen once, spent a day and a half with a civil trial.  Was actually quite interesting.  The plaintiff was suing for some damages based on a certain reason.  By letter of the law, the defendant (a company) was not guilty for THAT reason.  But it was clear they were negligent in other areas; but we couldn't do anything about that, it wasn't part of the suit.

Felt bad for the plaintiff, had some medical issues....and it was an interesting experience.  But not necessarily something I'd want to do again, especially on a larger case.

Edited by skullguise
  • Like 1

It turned into a nail biter. I didn't get called up until the first round of peremptory challenges was done. They questioned us and selected the 12 jurors with the plaintiff passing the jury repeatedly. I was left as the first alternate, which would be the worst of all words because I have to sit through a two to three week trial and don't get to decide it unless somebody drops off.

Plaintiff passed again with me as alternate, and defendant dinged the neurologist next to me because it is a traffic accident case with an alleged traumatic brain injury. The fucking plaintiff passed again but the defense finally dinged me. Thank goodness. This isn't the trial I would want for my first jury service and being an alternate would suck!

• Like 6

I was on two panels but rejected both times by the defense attorney.  I'm okay with that.  Ran into him on the street after the last jury selection and he told me the reason he rejected me was I was too sure of myself and would influence the jury.  I am okay with that as well.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Grahame said:

Does it tell you about jury nullification?

Right to a jury in civil trials was stuck in the constitution, at least in large part, to make it harder for the English to recoup debts in American courts after the war. Which is to say, jury nullification is the whole raison d'etre.

• Like 1

I was on a jury on a DUI case. The defense tried to raise doubts about the veracity of the conclusions the three big pieces of evidence, the field sobriety test, the breathalyzer, and the blood tests. As far as we could tell all procedures relating to the tests were followed, the tests were backed by sound science, and the results (which all agreed with each other) were thus very likely to valid. We convicted.

The guy wasn't crazy drunk or anything, so it felt a little bad convicting someone only slightly over the limit. That being said, I had no reasonable doubt that the evidence showed he was over the limit at the time of being pulled over.

I think the guy got a fair shake and it did give me a more positive perspective on the criminal justice system having been a part of the process. I hope if I am ever on the line a jury discusses and the evidence as a group the way that we did.

Streams/creeks are full right now from rain and snow. Lots of water crossings.

IMG_20190309_141145.jpg

I cant wait until May when everything is dry, many of the trials that I ride are changed significantly due to erosion from the rain/snow and this year I can already see that my favorite trails will be unrecognizable! That creek in this pic is a miles long rock garden. 

Edited by SeaWolf
  • Like 4

I spent the afternoon at the DMV doing paperwork that is inexplicably not possible to do online. It is every bit as terrible as it sounds, but is not as bad as yesterday afternoon which I spent at an altogether less pleasant DMV doing other paperwork that should be doable online.

• Sad 1

I feel your pain, Doug.  I had to update my license earlier in the month, the paper work could be filled out online, but I still had to show up at the DMV and wait an hour and a half in line to basically have my picture taken.  i then had to wait three weeks to receive the license in the mail.