And now what did you do TODAY?

morphsci

48 minutes ago, Hopstretch said:

Cali DMV: "Lol. Hold my beer."

I've got 6 months left to exchange my MA license and the sense of dread grows stronger with every abortive attempt at online interaction. Might just drive on my British permit forever. 

Just show up 20-30 minutes before they open. You will be the first through the door and first served.

4 hours ago, TMoney said:

Just show up 20-30 minutes before they open. You will be the first through the door and first served.

I hope this is true. I just realized that my license expires this week and I received no notice or the usual extension. Corte Madera or Novato?

I have been pleasantly surprised with the DMVs out here in the Suburbs in Illinois.  I thought for sure I was going to have to pay off at least a couple of government employees, but I have found the DMVs out here to be pretty efficient.  They have tried to make it a bit more efficient by compartmentalizing it lately, making it far less efficient, but I can still typically be in and out of my neighborhood DMV in 20 minutes.

Back when I was a driving instructor (only 2 years!) I used to visit various DMV's 3 or 4 times a week. 

Things have improved for many of them but there has always been a huge difference between locations. Find the best one within a reasonable distance and stick with that one (like G-man and TMoney said).

Never go on Mondays, Fridays or the day after a holiday.

Since I moved to a town of around 150,000 I hardly have a chance to sit down before I get my business done. Most of the time, there's only 1 or 2 people in line.

BTW Part of the reason anything having to do with ID can't be done online is the whole immigration debate and how Homeland Security clamped down of this stuff just when the internet would have taken over the DMV.

Edited by ironbut
  • Like 1

I was born in Chicago, went though primary education there and college. But once I started working I left. I live in Nevada now. Taxes are a big factor..  property, income tax and sales. Plus mountains. Also my weather is better. 

I love Chicago. I cannot see a future in which I go back.

Edited by SeaWolf