And now what did you do TODAY?

morphsci

7 minutes ago, naamanf said:

Are you on bath salts?

No, I was just a social sciences doctoral student. 

I'm still waiting for a response.You are way out of your own league, Naaman. I wasn't joking there. Jose is full of shit. 

Bye, I guess. 

Edited by EdipisReks1

Back to the earlier topic. Life expectancy skewed because the average included child mortality, which was exceptionally high.

However, although Mozart and Schubert died young, JS Bach was 65, JC Bach 53, Thomas Tallis 80, Beethoven 56, Hildegard of Bingen 81, Wagner 70 etc etc

And back even further to the topic of the thread - last night went to see Nick Mason in concert doing early Floyd - nothing post Meddle. So Piper at the Gates of Dawn, Saucerful of Secrets,  Meddle, Atom Heart Mother and a few that I did not know at all.

Despite being 74 now he had lost absolutely none of his drumming ability and played for two hours solid.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Craig Sawyers said:

Back to the earlier topic. Life expectancy skewed because the average included child mortality, which was exceptionally high.

However, although Mozart and Schubert died young, JS Bach was 65, JC Bach 53, Thomas Tallis 80, Beethoven 56, Hildegard of Bingen 81, Wagner 70 etc etc

And back even further to the topic of the thread - last night went to see Nick Mason in concert doing early Floyd - nothing post Meddle. So Piper at the Gates of Dawn, Saucerful of Secrets,  Meddle, Atom Heart Mother and a few that I did not know at all.

Despite being 74 now he had lost absolutely none of his drumming ability and played for two hours solid. 

Did he play Echoes? I love watching the drumming in Live at Pompeii…

5 hours ago, EdipisReks1 said:

Jose is full of shit. 

Maybe it's not the right place to discuss this.

I do not know what you mean by that. I hope you do not mean me...

Edited by jose

Alas they did not do Echoes. At 20-odd minutes it would have used up a lot of the concert. That original 1972 pompeii gig was superb.

Two of the best of Mason's comments last night were "We're not the Australian Roger Waters!" and "I toured with Roger Waters, and he was jealous about using the gong. But tonight I get to use the gong myself!" (For Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun)

The very best recent version of Echoes was also at Pompeii in 2006 with Gilmore and Wright. The bass guitarist is the same guy that played last night.

Edited by Craig Sawyers
  • Like 3

I do not have any era as a favorite (I like all, with Syd, Waters or Gilmore like "líder") although my favorite album is Middle and the Gilmore's solo albums too. Even though it's my favorite band (along with the Zeppelin) I know I'll never be able to see them live.

• 3 weeks later...

Yumi took me to the shooting range yesterday. She has guns in the house so I decided that I probably should know how to properly use them in case of emergency. I may even get my own gun at some point but not to carry, just for range and home. I really liked the feel of the Glock 48 and 43X.

IMG_1475.jpg

• Like 8

I wish I had been able to get a picture of it, but was driving by it....

On the way home today from our Maine condo, we passed  construction area on the highway In MasNoNoNoNoNoNosetts.  Two large cranes were parked there, and someone had strung up two American flags on the cranes.  Just thought it was a great thing to do.....

EDIT: totally forgot about the sa-chu edit! ?

Edited by skullguise
  • Like 1

Spent the day house cleaning to get ready for a couple of guests who will be participating in the pre-nationals fencing camp. Right now we are scheduled to be hosting a Brazilian, maybe an Italian, possibly some Red Army and Ute fencers.  Everything is still up in the air right now with visas received then not received air reservations made then not made etc. Phase two cleaning starts next Friday with the outside and room by room work overs. Dinner is a concern for the Russian, Italian and Brazilian fencers but I have my default In-N-Out burger and BBQ tri tip locked and loaded.

Don't want to cause an international incident now do we?

Edited by Augsburger
  • Like 5

Karen and I "Met the Fokkers" last night.  Our son Andrew has been pretty serious with a wonderful young lady he met at college.  The great news is that her family lives 2 towns over from us, so they can see each other easily outside of the school year.

Amy is going for 8 weeks to special program in Kenya this Summer, and she and Andrew thought it would be great to have the parents meet.  Simple dinner at Bertucci's, but it was very successful, we enjoyed the company and chat very much.  It helps that the father works in IT like me, has a slightly similar sense of humor, and looks just a little bit like Peter in Family Guy ?

It just felt very normal and pleasant, and the fact that it was the kids' idea made it even more special....

• Like 12

Two comedy plays in Stratford (on Avon) yesterday. We live 60 miles away so it is an easy drive.

First one was As You Like It by Shakespeare https://www.rsc.org.uk/as-you-like-it/. The Royal Shakespeare Company produce superb plays, and this was one of those. They keep them totally fresh, and very easy to understand, not  at all high-brow. That was in the afternoon.

Second one, in the evening, was a late Restoration Comedy called The Provoked Wife, by Vanbrugh, again superb. https://www.rsc.org.uk/the-provoked-wife/

Bit of background. Oliver Cromwell was one of the key people behind the Civil War in England in the mid 1600's. Once his troops had seized power, he had the king Charles I beheaded. Being hard puritans, they put in place reforms that included defacing the inside of churches and cathedrals, painting the insides white (covering up medieval wall paintings) and chipping the faces from statues of saints etc. They also banned public entertainment (and closed all the theatres), shut many pubs, sport and even swearing (anyone playing sport was flogged, swearing was a fine). Britain became a cheerless place.

When Cromwell died, Charles II (who had been living in exile in Holland) was restored to the throne, and reversed all of Cromwell's bans - which was exceedingly popular! Theatres was all reopened, and playwrights all went to town with the Restoration Comedies - all of them bawdy and hilarious.

One of the late Restoration playwrights was John Vanbrugh. As astonishingly versatile guy, he was not only a well known playwright, he was also an architect - designing Castle Howard https://www.castlehoward.co.uk/  and Blenheim Palace https://www.blenheimpalace.com/ .

PS Charles II escaped after a 650 mile flight with a reward of £1000 on his head, and pursued by Cromwell's troops. He was so pissed when he was restored to the throne, he had those who had signed the death warrant for his father Charles I arrested, and had them hanged, drawn and quartered in The Mall in London. He also had Cromwell's body dug up and posthumously hanged in public.

• Like 2