And now what did you do TODAY?

morphsci

Was it our sweaty look or have others previously complained? This sentence an hour ago...

“Welcome to Olema House we don’t have air conditioning thank you for choosing us would you like a warm chocolate chip cookie?” 

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Went to see Nicholas Nickleby at the Bristol Old Vic. This is a massive version of the Dickens novel for the stage. Part 1 started at 1:30pm, and Part 2 finished at 11pm. Total intervals were just over two hours.

The amazing thing is that it was staged by recent graduates of the Bristol Old Vic Theatre School - so very young professional actors. It was absolutely stunning, first off. And an titanic act of memory - it is 7 hours in total, and many of the main characters are on stage for much of that (Nicholas, Kate, Ralph). Ralph Nickelby in particular was impressive. The monstrous money focused manipulator is in his fifties - so it is a tough role for someone in their early 20's - but he carried it off perfectly.

A great day out!

• Like 8

Went to a neighborhood block party, went from 2pm to past 11pm when all was said and done.  Really great time, one of the neighbors set up a nice inflatable movie screen that the kids loved.  In the middle of it, hosted a few folks for some Bourbon and Scotch (later had to help one of said folks home as he was quite inebriated!).

Block_Party_2019_2.jpg

Block_Party_2019_1.jpg

• Like 11

Performing last minute gear tune-ups for Lance and his competition in Columbus.  Received word last week that Lance has been named to the USA Fencing All American first team and USA Fencing All-Academic first team for this year.  Hopefully if he has a good competition these recognitions will help when he meets the college fencing coaches he has scheduled with there in Columbus.  He is scheduled to fence Junior Men’s foil, Junior Men’s epee, Senior Men’s foil and Division I Men’s foil. Division I will be the toughest because it will have all of the best college fencers and three US Olympic fencers competing.  This is a very tough schedule so hopefully he can hold it together and feel good about his performance when it’s done. Yikes!

• Like 13

Well that was a totally awesome concert - The Eagles in Birmingham (the UK one). Two and a half hours with no break - basically their iconic Greatest Hits and Hotel California albums (which I bought back in the day and still have) and a whole load of other, quite advanced sonically, stuff from later albums.

The line up was the only remaining and performing member Don Henley (71) and slightly later members Joe Walsh and Timothy B. Schmidt, both also 71. Singing Glenn Frey's vocals was his son Deacon Frey (26), who was superb, and much to Carole's delight - Vince Gill.

And the guys had lost none of their vocal ability and high notes despite their advancing years.

It was the nearest thing to a hifi concert I've been to - the sound quality was excellent.

One hell of an evening.

This was the set list:

• Take It Easy
  • One of These Nights
  • Take It to the Limit
  • Tequila Sunrise
  • Witchy Woman
  • In the City (Joe Walsh song)
  • I Can't Tell You Why
  • New Kid in Town
  • Peaceful Easy Feeling
  • Love Will Keep Us Alive
  • Lyin' Eyes
  • Don't Let Our Love Start Slippin' Away (Vince Gill cover)
  • Those Shoes
  • Already Gone
  • Walk Away (James Gang cover)
  • Life's Been Good (Joe Walsh song)
  • The Boys of Summer (Don Henley song)
  • Heartache Tonight
  • Funk #49 (James Gang cover)
  • Life in the Fast Lane
  • Hotel California
  • Rocky Mountain Way (Joe Walsh song)
  • Desperado
  • Best of My Love
  • Like 13

Took about three hours to refinish the existing weird old house mailbox with a modern model. Tried to use the existing post, though it was super crooked so I might end up ripping it all off anyway. 

Before

992E1A68-662A-4596-B7AF-58B772B91D34.jpeg

After

I absolutely suck at carpentry and have none of the right tools. 

592BA3AD-3F0A-45BB-8E74-F1E1D8E0FBE0.jpeg

Edited by VPI
  • Like 8

Yeah the old mailbox was ridiculously low. I think around 30 inches from the ground. No idea why USPS allowed it. 

I should have just started from scratch wit a new post, but I decided to try to put a new facade on first to see how that turns out. 

Sure!  I'm having a resurgence mostly because of this video:

I really dig odd grooves, so the fact that they do it so frequently so naturally elevates them in my mind.  There's a host of live videos on YouTube -- complete KEXP sessions (they of course love them there), full festival sets, etc.

Cheers.