And now what did you do TODAY?

morphsci

Year ago (late 90's) when I was in Akihabara I found an oasis of a store in the middle of the tech junk. 

It had a love affair with large speakers like JVC's and Tannoy's, and big amps like Accuphase, Kerell, and Levinson; lots of other brands, though, and they had a display not too far off from what you posted (no keyboards/synth's, though).

Two regrets: I only wish I was able to communicate with the proprietor better....and they had a wonderful selection of 3 Blind Mice CD's, and I was stupid not to get any at the time....

3 hours ago, grawk said:

decided to up my nerd cred, so I got my technicians license for amateur radio today. 2 tests to go.

Cool. In my teens I had a (pirate) CB radio at home for like three years which allowed me to get in touch with people far away, the farthest was Australia, almost our antipodes, then passed the tests to get a license for a larger station, but never managed to buy and install the gears, so I guess it expired. Now the laws have changed and it seems easier to get a license. Are you planning to set up a serious home station?

On 7/13/2019 at 4:30 PM, skullguise said:

Was this related to the old charges from your ex?  In any case, yeesh!  And glad you're out....(is that literally or figuratively)

This is something else, but from around the same time. It's a long story, and a stupid one. It was just three days.

Today, I walked out to my car and discovered this.  Of course the parking lot camera doesn't work. If you look at the dent on the door, you can see where the person got out and tried to "rub the dent out." Idiot.  I have rental coverage up to $50 a day, so I chose "luxury." I hope it's something decent.

IMG_0073.jpeg

Edited by EdipisReks1
  • Sad 4

Someone left their mark on my new car at the brewery a month or so ago.  Right front fender but fortunately missed the head lights and electronics.  Just under $1600 and in the body shop right now getting fixed.  Add the cost of a rental car and of course the inconvenience.

• Sad 2

20 minutes ago, n_maher said:

What a pain in the balls, Jacob.  My car was hit 7 months ago and I still haven't found the time to get it fixed.  

Interesting -- I got hit several months ago (not 7, though), and I haven't found the time to get it fixed, neither.  I also scraped my car myself several years ago, and decided to get it fixed at the same time, and because I waited so long to report it, I have to be investigated.  Even though I admitted I did it to myself.  

So.. just some advice -- get around to it, so you don't go into that "investigated" bureaucratic black hole.

Also:  fuck fuckers who can't drive.

And yes, I realize I just told myself to go fuck myself...speaking of black holes...

Packing for trip to Milan with Mary tomorrow. Google says the weather will average in the 38s so packing is easy, shorts tee shirts and dressy speedo.

Our friends know a couple of winery and restaurant owners in the Amarone and Guarda Lake areas so I guess we will be drinking a little wine and eating small meals.

• Like 5

Graham Nash in concert tonight in Oxford. Bloody awesome. His voice is still unchanged even though he is now 77! He even did some numbers that he wrote when he was with the Hollies in the early 60's.

https://www.atgtickets.com/shows/an-intimate-evening-of-songs-and-stories-with-graham-nash/new-theatre-oxford/

31 minutes ago, Augsburger said:

Packing for trip to Milan with Mary tomorrow. Google says the weather will average in the 38s so packing is easy, shorts tee shirts and dressy speedo.

Our friends know a couple of winery and restaurant owners in the Amarone and Guarda Lake areas so I guess we will be drinking a little wine and eating small meals.

Oddly enough we're going to precisely those places in a month. Our daughter and her husband are in Milan from Australia for a wedding, and we're meeting up with them for a few days, driving with them to Lake Garda.

Edited by Craig Sawyers
  • Like 4

That is me totally physically trashed. In a moment of madness I decided to do a run I last did about 15 years ago - 15 miles of cross country with three chunky hills in it. I really haven't done anything like that for three years (when I did the Yorkshire 3 peaks) so I was working on base fitness from the gym, and physical memory of doing that sort of thing. I did 3h45m - and back in the day, when I was doing a lot more running and quite a bit younger I got it down to 2h30m. Anyway I'm not unhappy at age 63 that I can still cut the mustard to some extent.

It was made a bit more tricky that it started at 75F and finished at 83F. And made even more tricky that copious and corrosive sweat gave me an heroic dose of runner's crotch. When Carole saw it she said "how on earth did you continue with that". Well basically I had to - I had to get back to the car! But last night I was walking around as if I'd just got off a horse. A lot better today, but I'm pretty physically tired.

Definitely not looking for sympathy (as if! This is head-case!)! It's after all my own fault :wacko:

• Like 7
  • Sad 1

You would also need something like this: https://floridasailcraft.com/product/bigfoot-4-wheel-beach-dolly/ and also a winch installed within your trailer to allow you to have a controlled loading and unloading process.

Thanks Wayne! We have been trying to figure out how we would load it without having to hook it up to the hitch on our truck. Was looking at something like this (it would also be useful for getting our toy hauler into our tight parking spot). Probably not powerful enough for an incline though.

4 hours ago, shellylh said:

Thanks Wayne! We have been trying to figure out how we would load it without having to hook it up to the hitch on our truck. Was looking at something like this (it would also be useful for getting our toy hauler into our tight parking spot). Probably not powerful enough for an incline though.

There may be other options for moving your toy hauler that would also work for moving the waverunner. The dolly that I linked to is more of a light weight aluminum "cart" type of thing with soft rubber air filled tires that are wide and bouncy, so they won't get stuck in the sand. The dolly is buoyant, so it's not hard to sort of slide it into place. Then the person on the waverunner can kill the engine and jump off and everyone then pushes the loaded dolly out of the water. It can be a little tricky if there is a lot of wave action, or if you don't have extra hands to help, but it's usually pretty easy.

Unfortunately, it wouldn't work to move your toy hauler. It's nowhere near strong enough and the soft rubber tires aren't made to carry a lot of weight. These are really used mostly by people who live on the beach and watersports businesses that can chain them all up to a coconut tree and leave them out overnight. So it's easy in and easy out without having to back a trailer. They basically never leave the sand. But they're not expensive and would work if your trailer has a ramp door and you can install a winch in the front. Then it would just be a matter or securing the waverunner itself (while resting on the dolly) with ratchet straps to the floor of the trailer on each side. That said, this kind of lightweight dolly probably isn't rated for sitting inside of a trailer, loaded with a waverunner, and going down the road at highway driving speeds for long distances. It would probably be Ok for short local trips.