And now what did you do TODAY?

morphsci

It was known that firebreaks work since 1666 during the Great Fire of London.

" [Samuel] Pepys spoke to the Admiral of the Navy and agreed they should blow up houses in the path of the fire. The hope was that by doing this they would create a space to stop the fire spreading from house to house.

The Navy – which had been using gunpowder at the time – carried out the request and the fire was mostly under control by Wednesday, 5 September 1666"

• Like 2

IMG_0424.thumb.jpeg.a8251cf8110361cf4243b6f1942f4639.jpeg

What I'm wearing for my last dinner in Greensboro with my partner. I expect to be the best dressed man at any Greensboro restaurant on a Tuesday night. The crazy thing to me is those Outlier Slim Dungarees.  They really do just look like dress pants, with a jacket. With a t-shirt or sweater, they look like jeans. Amazing.  They are made to be worn every day for a year with minor cleaning.  Fair enough.

Edited by EdipisReks1

It looks like it is more likely to make landfall a lot closer to Miami than us, but the predicted track models all suck (as they do not really use models based upon the current ocean temperature gradients, especially regarding depth and wind pattern effects) so who knows. 

I got one of the Amazon Chase cards a while back and I've been super happy with all the perks.
BTW, if you need a pretty nice Mac interface/preamp, you can borrow my spare Metric Halo ULN-2 + dsp (2D card). 
I only use it for field work these days so I wouldn't miss it for a couple of months.
Just ask.
Duh,..
Just remembered that the ULN-2 is a firewire device. One of these days I'll upgrade it to 3D (usb-c and ethernet) for now, I use it with my 2012 MBP.
But, if you can use it ask.

Ethernet upgrade would be cool. Is it expensive?

The 3D upgrade for a ULN-2 is $500. A little more if your box is a Legacy (non-2D).

In the big picture, the upgrade includes 64 bit architecture (making it compatible with osx Catalina). The new circuit board includes new clocking and for the ULN-2 and 2882, the sound upgrades them closer to the ULN-8/LIO-8. I've upgraded the LIO-8/Amarra I bought from Voltron and there was a slight upgrade in sound. Word has it that the ULN-2 sound is quite significant (YMMV).

For pro audio the upgrades are way too numerous to list but it starts with Windows compliance.

Future proofing include a replaceable "edge card" that allows tons of current and future connection schemes.

The upgrade is still a public beta but the last software beta is almost there IMHO.

https://mhsecure.com/3dEarlyAccess/

• Like 1

Woke up to burst pipes (again) and a flooded basement (again).  This time the water got into the wiring.  The good news is I'm not dead and the house didn't burn down.  The bad news is more or less everything else.

I've already shop vacced up maybe 100 gallons.  There's parts of the basement I can't easily get to (FML) and two outlets are dead.  One is a ground fault and it won't reset its breaker.  My first reaction is DON'T FUCK WITH IT.  Luckily I ran a lighting business for 15 years and I have some big, fuck-off extension cords.  I'm running on fumes right now, but I've got more work to do this evening.  Did I say FML?  FMMFL.

• Sad 11

4 minutes ago, Knuckledragger said:

Woke up to burst pipes (again) and a flooded basement (again).  This time the water got into the wiring.  The good news is I'm not dead and the house didn't burn down.  The bad news is more or less everything else.

I've already shop vacced up maybe 100 gallons.  There's parts of the basement I can't easily get to (FML) and two outlets are dead.  One is a ground fault and it won't reset its breaker.  My first reaction is DON'T FUCK WITH IT.  Luckily I ran a lighting business for 15 years and I have some big, fuck-off extension cords.  I'm running on fumes right now, but I've got more work to do this evening.  Did I say FML?  FMMFL.

Oh man, that's horrible! So sorry to hear, man.