And now what did you do TODAY?

morphsci

Forty to fifty mph winds, school closings, and the aroma of BBQ...another day in SoCal.  Nearly one year since last year's disaster

image.thumb.png.cd2007755ec90575dd0e888a8222639e.png

Not our back yard but the yard of a former fencing team mate of Lance's

Edited by Augsburger
  • Sad 8

• 2 weeks later...

Endured more power outages, but, thankfully, without a side of u contained wildfire. Noticed that the local cell tower went dark ~4hours after the power, so that's it's battery backup gone, I guess. 

This morning we went looking for hot Coffee and a 4G signal with internet connectivity (not a given). I am reliably informed that in the first world nations of The East Bay, and The City, they have both and Electricity!

We eventually got lucky at our local Solar Powered supermarket to the Bourgeoisie. Power, Speciality Coffee and Queues.

Later got an internet connection just in time to intercept the weekly call with my mum.  Which was nice.

Currently parked on elevated terrain with comms to the outside world, fast charging the nerd phones from the car.

Apparently this situation is on again, off again for the next week (and structurally for the next decade if PG&E are to be believed)

Fun Times!

EDIT: curiously , spam calls, ads and emails are still getting through!

Edited by Grahame
  • Like 7

4 hours ago, TMoney said:

Still no power this morning. It’s been out since 7pm Saturday. Word is now that it might be out until Thursday. This is insane. 

It might be time to head out of town for a few days and get a hotel room somewhere else. 

7 minutes ago, Hopstretch said:

Having already done this, can confirm it’s a good plan!

I already invited him to come up to Seattle and move into Colin's guest room; haven't heard back yet. Will let Colin know once he gets a knock on the door saying "I'm here to drink all your whiskey; where's it at?"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Went in to SF for dinner last night for a warm meal and to charge devices and it was pretty damn surreal driving back across the Golden Gate Bridge into a nearly pitch black Marin County. It was like entering the void.

Power is back on this morning but it is scheduled to go out again in a few hours and be out till potentially Wednesday evening.

Plan is to run to the office, get my laptop, then go work at my boss's vacation home in Napa outside of the shut down area.

I really hope we are saving lives here and not just shareholders, PG&E. This is such a pain in the ass.

Edited by TMoney
  • Sad 4

Suspect Tesla is going to sell a few of those in our neck of the woods in coming months. I remember that after the big ice storm on the East Coast a couple of years back, every new build or renovation in the nicer Connecticut suburbs included an emergency generator. It just became a must-have for buyers.

(Incidentally, Marin being Marin, the county sheriff had to send out an emergency bulletin the other day asking people to stop calling 911 to register generator noise complaints.)

[emoji849]

• Like 2
  • Haha 1