And now what did you do TODAY?

morphsci

This was actually Saturday night, but we went to see Ian McKellen in London, who is doing his 80th birthday tour. A mixture of personal recollections from his life, and chunks of Shakespeare and poetry. Awesome.

He did not even take a rest in the interval - he just got off the stage and mooched around the audience. Then climbed back onto the stage for the second part. A total of three hours of total awesomeness.

https://www.londontheatre.co.uk/show/ian-mckellen-on-stage

• Like 7

8 hours ago, Craig Sawyers said:

This was actually Saturday night, but we went to see Ian McKellen in London, who is doing his 80th birthday tour. A mixture of personal recollections from his life, and chunks of Shakespeare and poetry. Awesome.

He did not even take a rest in the interval - he just got off the stage and mooched around the audience. Then climbed back onto the stage for the second part. A total of three hours of total awesomeness.

https://www.londontheatre.co.uk/show/ian-mckellen-on-stage

2 hours ago, guzziguy said:

What, no Gandalf or Magneto?

He should do the "I am not Dumbledore" tour.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, guzziguy said:

What, no Gandalf or Magneto?

He opened with Gandalf - with the section with the Balrog "Fly, you fools!". Then he hauled Glamdring out of a massive box on the stage - and the pointy hat - he was given both at the end of the shooting. He then got a young person from the audience up on stage to draw the sword, and signed a program for her.

No Magneto though....

He did make a comment about Dumbledore though. Apparently Michael Gambon (who played Dumbledore) was frequently mistaken for McKellen, and asked for an autograph - so he didn't disappoint the fan and signed it "Ian McKellen".

We're lucky enough to have seen him on stage quite a few times, most recently (2017) in King Lear in the 250 seat Minerva theatre in Chichester. Also Richard III in Bradford (1991), Waiting for Godot (in London with Patrick Stewart, 2009), No Man's Land (in London with Patrick Stewart, 2016), and a Godfather type of play translated from the Spanish called The Syndicate, again in the tiny Chichester Minerva (2011). He flew back from New Zealand during a break in shooting Gandalf in The Hobbit to do that.

We've also seen Stewart, again in the tiny Chichester Minerva. The best Macbeth (2007) I've ever seen by a mile, that then went to the West End, then to Broadway, and then was made into a movie. And a not so good Twelfth Night as Malvolio (2007). In fairness he was miscast as Malvolio. And in a rather weird play called Bingo that Stewart is obsessed with (2012), about the late life, and death of Shakespeare, and the family squabbles around his death bed about the will.

This is an outtake from the superb Macbeth movie. Follows the stage play perfectly, including the goods lift you can see in the background that Banquo's ghost uses to arrive. Get the DVD. If you like Shakespeare you won't be disappointed.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Scheduled a boiler cleaning after I had to cancel the previous one last month.  The company is now booking for January of next year.  I'm on schedule for the 29th.  I also called an outfit that cleans chimneys to do a cleaning and inspection of my mine.  It's got a stupid cap on it that is so clogged with creosote that I can't burn at all.  Fortunately, the chimney outfit is booking much sooner ...Dec 4th.  UNfortunately, it's dropping to 10º tonight.  Lastly, I called the guy who replaced my well pump last fall.  I don't know if I mentioned this, but a pipe he worked on had a cap that blew off a month ago and flooded my basement, taking out some of the electrical wiring.  I'd be more upset about this, but the entire house is a teardown at this point.  

Home ownership is a lesson in constant expense.  I'd bitch more about it, but I see what people pay in rent for a shitty two bedroom apartment and I conclude that I get off "easy."  

• Sad 7

Jeeze. That is a shit load of bad luck with work on your house Knucks.

Bricks and mortar is a real money pit though. We've just had our roof de-mossed. I could hardly lift a sack of the stuff - and there were 20-30 sacks came off. There was a lot of moss! Took two guys two days to do it - manually scraping it off each roof tile.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, SeaWolf said:

Added my CPU into my custom water loop. 

Two 240mm and one 480mm rad cooling a 3600x and radeon vii. 

20191116_205407.jpg

is that 12 fans on a radiator?

Replaced a fualty GFIC outlet in the dark outside with just a surefire M2 lighting the way.  Didn't want to listen to "when can you fix the Christmas lights?" for the rest of the week in the morning and then again at dinner, and then just before bed.

• Like 1

Yea and no. 

The lower fans are gutted 120s used as stand offs. The 50mm distance(2xstandard 120s) is pretty optimal from a static pressure VS a giant dead spot where the fan hub is.. 

I actually find this performs almost as well as a push pull setup but without the added noise of 2x the fans. 

Pro tip computer shops don't value dead fans. I got all my extras for free! 

Edited by SeaWolf
  • Like 2

I put on my investigator hat and solved the case of the missing trash can lid.

For those still on the edges of their seats. The lid was found and using an 8’ Heavy swimbait pole rigged with a GoPro case I was able to cast, first try, the case right into the middle of the floating lid and reel it back to the edge of the lake where Kasia retrieved it with a stand up paddle board paddle. 

E406540F-D9D9-45EF-9A6D-E736F18125AB.jpeg

Edited by VPI
  • Like 6
  • Haha 10

• 2 weeks later...

Well that was fun (not). I'd booked to have a minor op to the middle finger of my right hand today, originally when Carole was going to drive me there and back. In the meantime of course she broke both wrists. So I had it done anyway. So now between the two of us we have only one functioning arm :kitty:.

Still numb with local anesthetic, I expect it will throb a bit when that wears off. 

IMG-20191212-WA0000.jpeg

• Sad 8