And now what did you do TODAY?

morphsci

Bought 18 pounds of tri tip at Costco this morning and currently preparing a dry rub for half of them.  We are hosting the Hong Kong national team, French and Italian coaches and a Russian with a So Cal BBQ tomorrow. The fencers and coaches are here training for the Anaheim World cup in two weeks so they will be at the club and training with Lance a bit .  Weather seems not to be cooperating for tomorrow as intermittent rain and winds of 30 plus mph are in the forecast. My plan as usual is to drink lots of Brunello and figure it out as I go. At least we don't have Jose's sandstorm to deal with so life is good.

Edited by Augsburger
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Went for a walk in the rolling hills outside Novato with Joanne and some Brit's.

IMG_20200229_143717.thumb.jpg.0dbe316660ae62c1d5087a65cbda4a7c.jpg

IMG_20200229_144048.thumb.jpg.0ccb6124aeaa09ff1ff30c2860850cf1.jpg

I think some biscuit induced climate change made it somewhat breezier than we were anticipating.

Later we went to Costco where the shelves seemed to be picked almost clean. I made it out with one of the last 4 slabs of Diet Coke. They were sold out of rice. The staff said it had been like that all week with people stocking up on dried goods.

I can't think why? /s

https://projects.sfchronicle.com/2020/coronavirus-map/

• Like 5

In the UK it is still stiff upper lip. We were in London yesterday (at the National Theatre on the South Bank). No sign of anyone in face masks, crowded tube, no panic buying, supermarket shelves fully stocked.

But will we be flying anywhere on vacation this year? No chance. And from what the airline companies are saying, we are not the only one by a long shot.

And climate change? We have had a conveyor belt of storms coming in from the Atlantic for the last three weeks. Whole slabs of the UK are flooded with towns and cities essentially underwater. We're OK, by the way - we are well above the Thames flood plain.

Image result for floods february 2020

Image result for floods february 2020

Edited by Craig Sawyers
  • Sad 12

Biscuit change is real. Here we've had a winter that never arrived. We have had a little snow, and some cold temps, but it's 1MAR and most of the animals think that spring is here. The birds are already back and with rain last week there's zero snow cover. I don't know that the ground ever properly froze this year. It will be interesting to see how bad the insects are this year after such a mild winter. 

Regarding coronavirus and travel, I've had to fly three times in the last 6 weeks and there have been plenty of folks with masks on and CDC announcements in the airports. It all seems a bit much, really. Yes, it has a higher mortality rate than the standard flu and given the prolonged incubation containment is complicated. I suppose we'll see how it spreads around the globe since that is all but inevitable and having just read Stephen King's, The Stand, maybe I'm desensitized to the idea of the flu as an apocalypse? 

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, EdipisReks1 said:

That's nuts, Craig!

Sure is. This is York. Settled 8000 years ago, resettled by the Romans as Eboracum in 71AD. And currently looks like this

11 hours ago, n_maher said:

Biscuit change is real. Here we've had a winter that never arrived. We have had a little snow, and some cold temps, but it's 1MAR and most of the animals think that spring is here. The birds are already back and with rain last week there's zero snow cover. I don't know that the ground ever properly froze this year. It will be interesting to see how bad the insects are this year after such a mild winter. 

Regarding coronavirus and travel, I've had to fly three times in the last 6 weeks and there have been plenty of folks with masks on and CDC announcements in the airports. It all seems a bit much, really. Yes, it has a higher mortality rate than the standard flu and given the prolonged incubation containment is complicated. I suppose we'll see how it spreads around the globe since that is all but inevitable and having just read Stephen King's, The Stand, maybe I'm desensitized to the idea of the flu as an apocalypse? 

Same here. No snow or frost. So insect heaven. Gonna have to take care of ticks, which are becoming a real problem in the UK now.

The UK Government said three days ago "use hand gel to clean your hands to protect against Coronavirus" so everyone in the UK went absolutely nuts, and the only remaining stocks are being sold for 10 times what they were at the end of last year. Even professional suppliers have run out - even the options of 5 liters (over a gallon) containers have run out. Yes - we had to stump up to buy some. Seller's market though, so it is what it is.

Edited by Craig Sawyers
  • Sad 2

^ I guess they are catering to the bi-measurement-system-curious. This is Marin, after all.

What do you think gave you "Freedom Units"?  The Imperial System, that's what.

Do you think the UK went to all the trouble of Brexit, just to use the metric system, thanks to that little upstart Napoleon. I think not!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...