And now what did you do TODAY?

morphsci

That's quite the bike computer you have there, Greg. ;)

Seriously though, watch out riding in temps that hot. I've almost cooked myself a few times and once definitely pushed it way too far and overheated pretty badly. Currently not a concern here in the spring will not show up get over it North East, it's 50 and rainy. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I miss the 50 degree and rainy days... which was two weeks ago. 🤔

Yay So Cal weather.

Thanks for the reminder Nate.  As long as one really hydrates while riding the risks can be minimized.  In the olden days we used the Camelbaks and two extra water bottles which amounted to 4.5 or five liters of water.  Then we refilled at the midway point. On hot days tried to keep it at one liter per half hour and had no problems.

Edited by Augsburger
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Augsburger said:

I miss the 50 degree and rainy days... which was two weeks ago. 🤔

Yay So Cal weather.

Thanks for the reminder Nate.  As long as one really hydrates while riding the risks can be minimized.  In the olden days we used the Camelbaks and two extra water bottles which amounted to 4.5 or five liters of water.  Then we refilled at the midway point. On hot days tried to keep it at one liter per half hour and had no problems.

I know you're old enough to mean you had camels follow you while you rode.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

5 hours ago, Augsburger said:

You know the end is immnent when the bugs are taking over.  This moth is nine centimeters long.

That's what happens when you leave a lamp on and completely exposed like a naughty slut. It's your own fault really.

Yesterday's weather here in scenic Western MA was absolutely perfect, so naturally I didn't get out of the house for the entire day.  Today was gloomy and overcast, but with no actual rain.  I spent some time dragging down the hill the last of the brush that I'd previously cut down:

xJYv6gH.jpg

The pile is actually significantly bigger than this photo lets on.  I added a bunch more after I took it, and I couldn't get all of it in frame without stepping in to a large patch of prickers.  After my "RL drag and drop" operation, I began hacking away at the growth on the east side of my lower driveway.  It's been cheerfully trying to take over ...goddamn everything.  I didn't even both with my phone and music today because I just could not be arsed to futz with the wires.  Instead I had John Cage's 4'33 on repeat.

I continue to be old, fat (though slightly less so, I'm down 20 pounds since February) and marginally less out of shape.

• Like 8

Last of my original order of PC parts showed up today, so I set about getting everything installed in the new case (and moved my drives and GPU over from the old one). I did have a brief period of concern because it took a while for the motherboard to do it's initial calibration to the hardware before booting up the first time I turned it on, but miraculously everything worked perfectly fine after that. Now windows is wayyy more responsive and I can finally retire the old i5-2500k. Just gotta wait on the new GPU to arrive to truly complete the build. :prettyprincess:

• Like 9

^ Just finished doing the same thing for my son.  Built with a Gigabyte Aorus Z390 motherboard , Intel i9 processor, 32 G ram, 500 SS Gig C drive.  Only used the old 250 SS  Gig C drive and 1T secondary drive from the old computer.  Case is kinda neat in that it does RGB displays on the front panel fans.  Side of case is smoked glass and has its own display.  Thing booted up on first try and I had no problem installing the drivers and MS Office.  Right now he is using the on board graphics but will upgrade to one of the EVGA boards soon.  This thing is fast! 

Me

• Like 1

Nice! Did you have any trouble finding parts? A lot of stuff was out of stock most places, so I ended up having to buy the parts from a number of different places.

I thought about doing 32gb of ram too, so I could have 16 dedicated just for firefox/chrome (actually not joking) and the rest for other applications and games but decided to allocate that money elsewhere in the build for now.

I also specifically tried to avoid RGB as much as I could, ended up with just a small RGB logo on the motherboard, and illuminated text on the GPU (both of which I'll set to white to fit the black & white color theme I have going). I don't need my PC to look like I stole it from a Dave & Buster's.

No problem with parts.  Bought son mother board and case as Christmas present at Micro Center.  This was followed a few weeks later with the CPU and power supply, again at Micro Center. All these items were on sale at time of purchase and pre lock down.  After the lock down, I bought the memory and C drive  at New Egg.  Though the items I bought there were not on sale, they do have sales from time to time.  When I get around to buying the video card, I'll again order from New Egg.

To answer, I had no problem getting what I needed. I have a Micro Center near me, so that helps. With them, I can check inventory from home and then pick it up at the store.  Usually when I build a computer, I source from both.  Also, when I build, I never buy every thing at once, preferring to build in stages.

The RGB is controllable with give or take 20 displays, one of which is off.  It is controlled by a small processor board and not the main computer. It's a fun thing that can be turned off.

Me

• Like 1

I'm way too impatient to spread a build out over that much time. I split the order up across Micro Center, Newegg, Amazon, and B&H. Then a few days later I ordered the GPU direct from EVGA which is still en route.