And now what did you do TODAY?

morphsci

Far too hung over for the dirt bike, so taking the car over the pass to Tahoe seemed like a great way to kill time. 

20200522_140112.jpg

20200522_140732.jpg

The whole mask thing didn't seem too popular up at incline village. I was really surprised. 

Edited by SeaWolf
  • Like 13

We got up to our place in Maine, is good to be away from the same walls.  Took a ride into Kennebunkport, and was pretty disappointed to see most people NOT wearing masks either, despite signs all over the place with guidelines saying to do so.  Karen would step FAR away from people if we passed them, I think some got the idea but didn't give a shit.

But we did get to see some good ocean views, and got some decent food for tomorrow's lunch.  We'll order and do curbside tonight.

I'll be back home tomorrow but Karen will likely stay one more night.  Good for her soul!

Pic from Cape Porpoise.....

Cape Porpoise 23-May-2020.jpg

• Like 10
  • Confused 1

It is also likely a matter of perspective. Maine has less than 2000 reported cases and 75 deaths, whereas MasNoNoNoNoNoNosetts has 90,000 cases and over 6000 deaths.

edit: I forgot about the anti-s@chu autocorrect

Edited by morphsci
  • Haha 1

Late last night into this morning, watched one of my favourite bands do a livestream (mostly) right.  They did a really good job of recreating the live experience.  And then I got to Zoom with them afterwards!  That was all kinds of awesome.  I even got to bond with one of them for several seconds over my Event Horizon background.

Sound is awful during the first half of the concert, but they fixed it during the intermission, so if you're going to watch any of this, start at about -1:49:07 for the second viewing of the world premier of the "new normal" video for their cover of Ordinary World or go straight to -1:43:25 for the start of the second half of their set.  Initially, I wasn't going to participate in the Zoom, just "lurk", but they were so warm and inviting that I ended up participating a little.  But I was a little inebriated, so I also embarrassed myself a little bit (no Cartman pajamas, though, not that bad).
https://www.facebook.com/watch/live/?v=270319837705987&ref=watch_permalink

• Like 1

I'm not sure if any fellow audio "old timers" remember Sound Practices magazine that Joe Roberts used to publish, but after it died he made a cd of them available. 

Someone on the Ampex listserve asked for a copy and I uploaded it to my Google Drive.

So, if anyone one here wants a copy,..

https://drive.google.com/open?id=15o63ZZ10y7gpp0Pu4K2NrbbB0uis3o88

Edited by ironbut
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4

So, what are the odds - found someone in my neighborhood listing a twelve channel Dayton Audio amplifier that they aren’t sure if it works. I picked it up for $50. If it works, that would be wonderful. If not, we’ll, it sure is heavy. I am hoping to have a bit of fun with my audio testing gear tomorrow!

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

I cut my finger while prepping food/cooking.  Never using that knife again, it's weird.  It was the smaller one from this set:

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/foerdubbla-2-piece-knife-set-gray-00436790/

So I quickly took care of it, and went back to prepping food/cooking.  I hadn't gotten to the red hot cherry peppers yet, nor the Thai red chili peppers.  I was very careful.  That said, some Scovilles still found their way into the cut.  It was a little painful.

• Sad 2

7 hours ago, Dusty Chalk said:

I cut my finger while prepping food/cooking.  Never using that knife again, it's weird.  It was the smaller one from this set:

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/foerdubbla-2-piece-knife-set-gray-00436790/

So I quickly took care of it, and went back to prepping food/cooking.  I hadn't gotten to the red hot cherry peppers yet, nor the Thai red chili peppers.  I was very careful.  That said, some Scovilles still found their way into the cut.  It was a little painful.

Ouch. At least it wasn't California Reapers :blink:. Small knives are a real danger - I tend to use large ones, kept really sharp.

A mate of mine is a pro chef. At least he was - he stopped when they had kids. The hours are stupidly long and he wanted to see the kids grow up. Pre-virus we used to have a cook-in from time to time; beer and cooking for us and wives. And watching him prepare vegetables in particular is a thing to behold. After catering college, he said that the first restaurant he joined would not let him actually cook anything until he had proved his knife skills to their satisfaction - which took 6 months of veg prep and butchery. And when he cooks our kitchen looks like an operating theatre rather the the mess I generate when I cook. He tells me that in a restaurant kitchen you have to have an almost OCD level of tidiness, otherwise you just can't get dishes out on time.

I buy our cookware and knives from this place https://www.procook.co.uk/ 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, swt61 said:

Haven't you heard, size doesn't matter?

I take your point.

wait, no, that’s not what I meant.

@Craig Sawyers  I was fine with the red hot cherry peppers, the problem started when I started working on the Thai ones.  Even now, after washing my hands several times, if I were to —allegedly—stick my finger in my nose or in my eye, it would sting a little.  I should move to Peru, where rocoto peppers are indigenous, because they are the perfect sweet spot between heat and flavour.

And yes, I was being fast and sloppy, wasn’t even using a cutting board.  I definitely need to improve in that area.

Thanks for the useful information, grim.

I discovered the problem with chopping chilies in my early 20's. Then going for a wizz. It is a lesson once learnt never forgotten :frantic:.

That picture in the Wikipedia link is a horror story. Look at the front of the stainless steel units that the chef is standing at. And the filthy wiping rag. Sure he has some stuff organised in the foreground, but the rest of the kitchen is salmonella waiting to happen.  Ugh.

Can you imagine how Gordon Ramsey would take that place apart? It looks like a classic Ramsey's Kitchen Nightmares episode.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/26/2020 at 3:56 PM, Augsburger said:

Another sunny day bike ride after work. "It's dry heat so it's not that bad"  That's 40 degrees for you 'cross the pond peoples.

image.thumb.png.9116e6ac0d62a6bb231d78cc14989f09.png

Yea I would normally spend July in Phoenix AZ  with my grandparents as a kid. Everyone in AZ would try and sell you that "dry heat" line of BS. Funny how you never saw any of them outside until ~620PM when it started to cool down. Boating and pools aside obviously. We don't get to Phoenix valley levels of absolute temps here in Reno NV but when I am out on my dirt bike doing the slow technical trails with no wind because they are generally in ravines, that "dry heat" means typically blue skies and the sun is RELENTLESS. 

In the olden days when I was in shape and training for races we would ride for 4+ hours, consume six liters of water and never need to pee.  The temperatures would average 85+ but as long as you were moving you were OK.  I used to fly into Phoenix airport periodically and it was a truely fun ride coming in during July and August. It felt like Mr Toad's wild ride.

• Like 2