And now what did you do TODAY?

morphsci

On 9/8/2020 at 4:42 AM, dsavitsk said:

When I was in high school, I went out on a very cold day to start my car and let it warm up while I got ready for school*. I started the car, but it was so cold that the door mechanism was frozen and the door wouldn't latch. I figured that if I locked it, it might latch upon closing. And since it was one of those locks where you had to hold the handle for it to stay locked upon closing, I didn't think it was a problem. Upon closing, it did stay closed, but it also stayed locked. Having a spare key, I went inside to finish getting ready.

When I came out, I put the spare key in the door and promptly broke it off. So I was left with a locked, running car and no key (and a mother who was not going to let me stay home). I don't remember how I got to school, but I do remember that when I got home the car had run out of gas and the battery had died.

* my car had a special feature that if it was really cold, the levers on the steering wheel would lose tension which turned on the wipers, turn signal, etc.

Just catching up with this thread. About ten years ago we had a Renault something, and it had a quirk. If you half closed the door the central locking would fire.

So in January I parked in a remote car park to go for a run in cross country shoes through the mud and slush snow. Got back to the car soaked in sweat, tossed the keys on the drivers seat and as I moved to the boot (truck) to put dry clothes on, the door half closed - clunk. Keys and phone inside. Me outside in freezing temperatures, soaking wet, and it is getting towards dark.

Fortunately there was an elderly couple in this carpark in the back of beyond. Their children had bought a mobile phone for them for Christmas, which they had not used. They offered to let me use it to phone for recovery from the company we paid for (RCA). "What is the postcode" "No idea - it is a remote car park" "Can't help you caller if you don't have a post code" "Please understand - if you don't help me I will die from hypothermia!" "OK - I'll walk to Little Whittenham and your guy can meet me there" "What will be the post code caller" "Look - Little Whittenham is about ten houses - he won't have a problem finding me!!"

To cut a long story short, the recovery guy extracted the keys and I got home unscathed.

Craig

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

When I was 16 or so, we visited my older brother who was going to grad school in Chicago. My brothers took me out one night and I used his 23 yo ID to get into a number of places, including seeing a local band called Survivor. The venue was a weird hall with hay bails along the walls for seating. It was pretty funny to see them rocket to star status a couple years later after Rocky 3 came out. 

• Like 4