And now what did you do TODAY?

morphsci

I'm working on making some raised panel doors. My landlord has a rental house somewhere north of Sacramento, and I guess he had some tenants that managed to break 5 solid oak cabinet doors. He couldn't find anyone who could make replacements in any sort of timely manner, when he asked me if I could make cabinet doors? Silly man! Anyway, I was putting the last frame together with glue and pocket screws, when the bit jumped out of the screw and decided to go all the way through my hand. I was applying pressure because of the hard oak. Maybe just a little too much!

Luckily Al's cleaning woman, Toni was there. She cleaned the entry and exit wounds and bandaged me up. I was able to get right back to it.

Just goes to show you that any tool can be dangerous in the hands of an idiot.

Bit.jpg

Luckily it was the fleshy part, under the thumb.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 15

22 minutes ago, swt61 said:

I'm working on making some raised panel doors. My landlord has a rental house somewhere north of Sacramento, and I guess he had some tenants that managed to break 5 solid oak cabinet doors. He couldn't find anyone who could make replacements in any sort of timely manner, when he asked me if I could make cabinet doors? Silly man! Anyway, I was putting the last frame together with glue and pocket screws, when the bit jumped out of the screw and decided to go all the way through my hand. I was applying pressure because of the hard oak. Maybe just a little too much!

Luckily Al's cleaning woman, Toni was there. She cleaned the entry and exit wounds and bandaged me up. I was able to get right back to it.

Just goes to show you that any tool can be dangerous in the hands of an idiot.

Bit.jpg

Luckily it was the fleshy part, under the thumb.

I'm beginning to think Milo and Otis failed their OSHA indoctrination :) Glad you're ok Steve!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

When I build raised panel doors that are going to be painted (by the customer), I like to paint the edges of the panels before securing them in the frame. Otherwise when those panels shrink up a little bit in winter, you'll see some tiny edges of bare wood. This way the panels can expand and contract inside the frames without that happening. 

But it's all one solid oak panel.

• Like 7

I'm happy to see that I'm still a fast healer. I can count the number of times I've ever had a wound become infected on two fingers.

Still slightly sore, but fully functioning. Really just tender when I press directly on the wound. 

20201002_165753_resized.jpg

My body makes up in healing what my brain lacks in intelligence.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

I got bored today and decided not to wait for Milo.

Just a down and dirty TT stand. The bottom shelf is morticed into the legs, then attached with trim screws that I covered with plugs (plugs still need to be cut flush and sanded). It should hold enough records, as I plan to limit myself this time around. I have a Cherry slab (cutting board) that the TT actually sets on. The Cherry slab will sit on top of this stand with my Hudson HiFi Bigfoot silicone isolation feet between the two surfaces. I plan to Ebonize the stand, then finish with Arm-R-Seal (much to Doug's dismay). 

1.jpg

4.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

H.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Got it stained and milled 1/16" deep, round recesses in the top for the Bigfoot Isolation feet to seat into, otherwise they tend to slide around.

Will start the clearcoat process tomorrow. I'm expecting not to have to worry about flies landing in my clearcoat, since they seem to greatly prefer Pence's head.

1.jpg

2.jpg

Edited by swt61
  • Like 5
  • Haha 2

The top is made up of two pieces of 1/2" plywood, with T-nuts buried in between the two. The legs have threaded inserts that screw into the T-nuts. Very solid if not exactly beautiful. It should look better when stained Black.

So the threaded rod goes all the way through the legs? I don’t get where you are putting your nuts? :)