And now what did you do TODAY?

morphsci

This is a T-nut. I drilled a 1/16" recess for the top flange of the T-nut to sit flush into a piece of 1/2"plywood. Then drilled a 3/8" hole for the barrel of the T-nut. Then I glued the second piece of plywood onto the first, trapping the T-nut in-between the two. The only thing showing is the 3/8" hole with the barrel of the T-nut inside. The threaded part of the hanger bolt screws into this. Resulting in a blind joint that is very solid.

• Like 6

Endured 2 1/2 days with no power (because of freak storm and record incompetence on the part of National Grid) while all three of my neighbors ran their generators (cannot blame them.)  Also lacked running water (because well and electric pump) and had minimal contact with the outside world.  What Apple does to older iPhone batteries via their malicious code should be illegal and punishable by death.  What T-Mobile does to "unlimited bandwidth" customers after the first 2GB is punishable by hanging in more civilized countries.  What they claim is "speeds up to 128lkbps" but in reality what they do is limit all data for periods of time.  This becomes a might frustrating when one is furtively trying to load, say, an electric company's outage map page in Chrome.

Also, there's a bug where iPhones won't display the "trust this machine?" dialogue when connected to a Mac and instead go BONG BONG BONG BONG forever.  This means they iPhone won't even charge off the Mac via USB.  They dance on both side's of Hanlon's Razor over there at 1 Infinity Loop.  I ended up charging my phone with a car battery and an adapter.

I was (and still am) not so secretly praying that Fat Donny presses The Button in a roid rage.*

*This couldn't actually happen even if he wanted to do so.  Every day the POTUS is given a card with a bunch of launch codes on it.  Only one is real and the rest are fake.  I'll be you a wooden nickel Trump doesn't remember which one is correct 5 minutes after receiving the card.  Ironically, we're safer from nuclear annihilation under his tiny, cheeto-stained hands than any other president since WWII.

• Sad 5

Forgot to post this yesterday - had a good day doing old-school manual labor after spending a good part of Friday helping my neighbor clear a small maple tree that fell over in a wind storm Thursday.

C6ED8907-0107-48E0-8FD3-CCD021A515B6_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.b429b32931e6555d02163ed95b09cc09.jpeg

They're selling the house in 10 days and didn't want the tree or debris to cause any issues with the sale.  So yesterday I set out splitting a bunch of it.

523A6D8A-3330-42F2-A4D9-4AA062B6EE2E_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.779e28c43c99cf8df116b0f47bc1abf4.jpeg

It's funny. The older I get the more I enjoy manual labor.  I hated splitting wood when I was younger.  Then it was time for Lily and I to make a cake for Andrew's socially-distant, outdoor-5-months-late birthday party that we'll host today with 5 of his buddies.

B9A7C037-3279-4E70-B941-C7F55BD47726_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.0b9dc6c1b807d2b80cbb0e956989b895.jpeg

Vanilla tie-dyed cake (pic of that after slicing later today) with chocolate buttercream frosting.

17711E42-6F48-429E-8D11-B3B6185270DB_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.34984b0c4e8aece94590190e542ccde2.jpeg

Outdoor theater screen and projector test complete. I picked up a cheap Onkyo receiver off CL and will use an old 5.1 Cambridge Soundworks system for the noise.  Should be fun and the total investment was less than $200 which seems insane.

• Like 15

On 10/9/2020 at 9:53 PM, skullguise said:

Downloaded a new Raspberry Pi (v4 model B only) music OS, VitOS.  Looks like it might be a good Pootie Pi option....  Has a tablet/phone device app for control.

http://www.thunder-data.com/vitos-for-rpi4

Hope to try it this weekend.

I will keep an eye on the web site to see if they ever implement wi-fi connectivity. Ethernet-only is a non-starter for me.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, morphsci said:

Just finished upgrading my last Mac, that could be upgraded, to Catalina. Just in time to not upgrade to Big Sur.

Thanks for reminding me.

Creating a Catalina 15.7 install drive for later. 

I'm going to stick with Mojave for a bit longer I think.

Wow, when you say north!

Edited by ironbut