And now what did you do TODAY?

morphsci

So to start the new year off I went for a morning chilly bike ride.  Since I am really out of shape I struggled as we climbed a mild 8% hill. I noticed a group of people standing outside a building waiting for something and then noticed more people milling around in their parking lot as I slowly passed by struggling with the climb. As I passed the group of perhaps 30-40 people I noticed the sign..."COVID Testing Clinic" 

Shit fire, I just rode past a group of 30+people all who have or suspect they have COVID.

I blame Brent.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

• 2 weeks later...

Craaazy wind here last night.  Power went out early this morning when I was of course dead asleep.  I got awakened by a chorus of UPS alarms.  I got up, shut down all the various electronic bits, sent an outage notification to my beknighted power company and tried to go back to sleep.  The wind continued to make crazy noises.  I had the thought that with proper mics, the sound would be perfect for the ambient background to a horror movie or video game.  [Fun fact: that is exactly how some of the background for the original Evil Dead was recorded.]  I think the power was out for over 3 hours.  I managed to have a doozie of a nightmare before being awakened yet again by the power coming back on and various devices beeping their approval.  Solid B'town/10 evening, I'd say.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

I have been looking for a new GPU for a month (I´m thinking in a 2080TI or 3080). After seeing new and pre-owned prices and Nvidia's lack of  new stock I realized that I should have invested my savings in graphic cards.... 🥵

I think I'll keep my current 1070 for a while.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, HiWire said:

I read Anandtech's guide to the new Z590 motherboards (some of which are more than $1,100) and said a big nope to building a new box.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/16347/the-intel-z590-overview/54

It's crazy.

I don't do design work, rendering ... so honestly I live very happy with my old motherboards with the third generation Z77 and the 3770K. I only need a GPU with 11g Vram to move DCS with VR fluently.

I hear you. I'd love a 3070 for gaming but it only seems to make sense when you let an OEM like Dell or HP absorb the cost. Putting a system together at today's prices (and availability) is ridiculous unless you shop for old or bottom-of-bin parts.

Edited by HiWire

Man, did I sleep like a baby last night.  I slept IN as well, which felt wonderful.  I woke up to NPR playing Garth Brooks, which was kind of weird.  He doesn't strike me as public radio's normal fare.   All day everyone has seemed to be in a good mood, and I can't figure out why.  It's like the whole nation got a good night's sleep as well.  Funny thing, that.   

• Like 6
  • Haha 3

I spent several days transferring ~25MB of data off a 1991 IBM PS/2 Model 30/286 that had a broken floppy drive.  I ended up using a Tripp Lite USB to Serial adapter and a null modem cable.  Man, does late 80s/early 90s technology make you feel like it's actually doing something.  The PS/2's fan (singular) is loud AF.  The HDD is loud AF and makes a very distinct noise on every read or write. 

Also text based modem software looks the way Hollywood portrayed anything computer related ...until well into the 00s.

• Like 6