And now what did you do TODAY?

morphsci

It's a handmade tile, so you get the variation in color, but also the variation in size. Some tile setters hate that, because you can't just rely on spacers. I really like the organic look. Milo and I just draw grids on the wall and rely more on our eyes.

The cabinets are matte White, or will be once we remove the protective film. The Walnut shelves should really pop on top of the tile,  but the homeowner wants a more matte finish than our current Satin clear coat, so a quick sanding with 240 and a new top coat of matte.

Plumbing happens tomorrow and electrical trim out on Monday. We'll finish tile setting Tuesday, and should be grouting soon after that.

Nate, the homeowners cut it close on tile. A little closer than I'm comfortable with, but it cuts easily, so we haven't actually ruined a single tile yet. But I'll let you know. It's my second favorite tile I've set thus far. The first being the gorgeous tile we set in Doug's master bath.

Edited by swt61
  • Like 4

Not really tile exactly, but another fun one was a master bath with Aluminum/acrylic panels by a prominent artist, that I cut and set in the shower. 

20190524_135744.jpg

20190524_135753.jpg

20190524_151717.jpg

20190528_102254.jpg

They didn't bother telling me until after I cut and set the three panels, that each panel cost $10,000.

• Like 15

2 hours ago, Icarium said:

Pictures of the master bath? 😜

Here's the tile w/ grout. It's a quite small bathroom. We had to tear out tile that was done in the late 1920's, which was very sad, but the pipes were leaking. We did preserve the plaster crown, but it was otherwise a total gut. And I'd like to say that tiling the ceiling is probably the most difficult thing I have ever done in my life.

bathroom1.thumb.jpg.002507db56f803c74b329a10680903cc.jpg

bathroom2.thumb.jpg.50c1eec2eeb7371e1ba3114c437206e8.jpg

ceiling.thumb.jpg.852c31eeddd4969defe7492fe2236db1.jpg

• Like 13

8 hours ago, Icarium said:

What made the ceiling difficult?

I'll give that one a shot.

#1 ) Trying to line up tile while looking and working above your head is difficult.

#2 ) Trying to set tile that gravity wants to drop on your head is more fun than any human should have.

#3 ) Having a neck ache for a week after is part of the gig.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Icarium said:

Yeah, I've never really codified a taste for interior decor -- but good natural stone, tile or wood has always been sexy to me.

I love tile, but I dislike almost all the tile you can actually find. Good tile is rare.

9 hours ago, Icarium said:

What made the ceiling difficult?

Also, the tile is heavy, getting a ladder in the space is impossible so everything was weirdly cantilevered, and vertigo.

• 3 weeks later...