And now what did you do TODAY?

morphsci

On 5/1/2021 at 1:59 AM, Craig Sawyers said:

Over in blighty, there has been a ridiculously successful re-introduction of the red kite. This 6 foot wingspan raptor was pretty much extinct here, but is now a familiar sight in our neck of the woods. There are now apparently nearly 5000 breeding pairs. We see them pretty much every day. They are social birds and will hunt and roost in groups.

Because of food pressure (they eat mainly carrion, and odd large insect) they are now almost feral, and will apparently occasionally take a small mammal.

Beware cats! I'm sure the red kite has been responsible for some small cat disappearances.

They are a real masters of the air

Thanks, now I have that The Fixx song stuck in my head.  XD

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

OOF.  Started today by putting my foot through the arc of my prized Senn HD-590s and breaking it.  I've had these things for over 15 years at this point and they're one of my favorite cans.  While their presentation is deeply flawed, their nutball 3D imaging is one of my favorites for ambient.  I've used them to prepare for my radio show for over a decade now.  Of course it's my stupid fault for leaving them at the foot of my bed and not putting them on the shelf, but dead is dead.  

I do have a physically identical pair of HD-570s (which sound awful) and I did investigate taking both pairs apart to find donor parts but looking at the wiring that seems like a nearly impossible job.

• Sad 12

I might just buy that NOS pair.  The guy has a "make offer" option.

In other news, this week is shaping up to be a gold star one:

bYTUZ8O.jpg

I now have two glasses halves balanced precariously on my face.  I'm sure I look like an idiot, but fortunately no one else is around.  I put them on last night, felt a weird cracking sensation, then both halves slid off my face.  I'm overdue for a new glasses 'scrip, but my plan (of the "Mice and Men" variety) was to get my second vaccination jab (in two weeks) then wait two more weeks for full immunity then visit the eye doctor.  That is no longer an option.  :headdesk:  I am clumsy and blind.  It's hell to get old.

• Sad 7

1 hour ago, dsavitsk said:

They are saying that first jab is only about 30% effective against the delta variant.

Fair point, I've admittedly not stayed current on some of that having been jabbed twice. I still think and believe that with a mask and basic precautions you can lead a relatively unencumbered essential-task life (like going to the eye doctor) without much fear of COVID.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, swt61 said:

Every time I hear "Delta Variant" I think of a bunch of Mississippi rednecks spreading the virus by having incestuous sex. Is that bolstering stereotypes?

Not sure we’re thinking of the same thing, but do those rednecks include Chuck Norris? 

B8E98B84-8EA2-4510-B09E-763393AD8718.jpeg

Just got driven into the city. Sitting at UCSF waiting for cataract surgery. I only have a cataract in my right eye, but it's gotten bad. I can't see anything but a blury light out of that eye. I was scheduled for surgery last April, but Covid changed all that. It's going to be absolutely amazing to be able to see out of that eye again, and have my depth perception back.

• Like 11