And now what did you do TODAY?

morphsci

I just don't know whether to use a smiley or a sad face emoticon!

Me - off to aortic aneurysm screening this morning. Once you march through your 60's they start taking an interest in your body. Every two years you get a bowel cancer screening kit (poop in a box, then smear it on a sensitized stick and send it off) and now ultrasound screening for aneurysms too.

Well, I passed the aneurysm screening. It is just a one-off; allegedly if you don't have one at 65 the chances are slim that it will be a problem later. My grandmother died from one - but she was nearly 90. Way back in 1986.

The other thing I've been getting hot under the collar about is the UK ban on halogen lamps. Our entire house is now LED, other than in my workshop where all four lamps I installed are halogen. Now only one has failed so far. But halogens are ~UKP1 and the LED version is UKP5. So I've just stocked up with halogens before they become illegal.

The thing that riles me though is the UK government is selling this on the green agenda, saying it will save 1.26 million tons of greenhouse gases. Per capita that is 0.018 tons of CO2 per person per year. Put that against the 6.8 tons per capita in the UK, and the halogen ban will reduce our carbon footprint by a mere 0.26%.

But it misses the point that halogen lamps are a mature technology, and can be made for very low cost. LED lamps need a semiconductor fab to make the LEDs, and use noxious gases like arsine and phosphine, and are inherently higher cost.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Angry 1

That was the European Union, not just the UK. Which makes most of the measures no less daft.

It is a lot of years back they were a whole lot dafter. They tried to standardize the loaf. And in the UK we have a biscuit called the Digestive. It is a particular biscuit that is dunked in a cup of tea. The EU tried to change the name, because in their view the name Digestive implied it was auto-digesting. They succeeded in neither of these idiocies.

18 minutes ago, Craig Sawyers said:

That was the European Union, not just the UK. Which makes most of the measures no less daft.

It is a lot of years back they were a whole lot dafter. They tried to standardize the loaf. And in the UK we have a biscuit called the Digestive. It is a particular biscuit that is dunked in a cup of tea. The EU tried to change the name, because in their view the name Digestive implied it was auto-digesting. They succeeded in neither of these idiocies.

EU/UK don't know fuck all aboot biscuits.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 5
  • Confused 1

Commissioning a new PC, DELL Optiplex 7090. My son Rob came down and helped out, putting an addition 1G SSD in there, moving bookmarks across, and putting one of the spinning rust drives out the other PC in there will all the legacy files.

It is physically tiny, in spite of the fact that it has an i7 processor. It even turns out it has a backup battery in the power supply.

Anyway, it goes FAST!

I've gone for LibreOffice to keep as far away from the Gates evil empire as possible, and eM Client email software.

• Like 9

The wooden support posts are temporary. They're in place now because the footings for the lalycombs were somewhat undermined when the old concrete was removed. The new footings will strengthen the existing lalycomb footings. The wooden support posts won't be needed for the four foot addition, as the metal lalycomb posts are supporting the already existing header for the overhang. We will bury the left metal post inside the new wall. The new front wall will further support the existing header, and we'll take the little bit of sag out of the header when we stick build that wall.

One of the metal lalycombs is hidden from view.

Edited by swt61