And now what did you do TODAY?

morphsci

Spent over 8 hours in the ER, from 1AM to ~9:30AM.  I'm OK.  Well "ok."  Don't have much use of my right hand which makes typing super fun.  Docs not sure what's wrong with me ("Gee knucks we coulda told you that in under 5 minutes.") but they think it might be somethi9ng autoimmune related.  Got prescribed ROIDS which might make me cranky.  I'm sure no one will notice the difference.  I have some really gross pics of my hand, b ut I'll spare y'all.  Need to go get my scrip filled.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 16

• 2 weeks later...

Packing up to see my woman and Boy. Two week trip. Car is mostly full of gifts.

But I’m not going to not make at least one meal and two coffees, when I pack all this shit. 

And I made that lacquered Milky Way knife saya (well I lacquered it anyway) and I will not make another, so don’t ask. 

E9092A0C-1A0C-4950-9585-47FDE05FE355.jpeg

Edited by EdipisReks1

• 2 weeks later...
22 hours ago, n_maher said:

Careful, if it's like some others it's just an advanced assumed tax return that could bite you in the ass in April.  

From all the research I was able to do, I don't believe this is the case with this. But I'm still going to disappoint everyone, because I can't think of another cordless tool that I could use, or fit in the van. This will go to restart the savings that got decimated.

• Like 10

5 hours ago, swt61 said:

From all the research I was able to do, I don't believe this is the case with this. But I'm still going to disappoint everyone, because I can't think of another cordless tool that I could use, or fit in the van. This will go to restart the savings that got decimated.

Steve, just saying, I had a really excellent shawarma at Splitrock in Fairfax while drinking beer with Al today and highly recommend you direct $12 of your stimmy windfall that way. Get the lamb.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Today's adventure entails mortising 22 door blanks to fit in existing door frames. First I need to cut the blanks to proper width, as the old frames are about 1/4" smaller than the new blanks. Then I use my lockset mortising jig to drill out for the knobs. Then I use my hing mortising jig to router away the hinge inset. The self centering, spring loaded drill bit makes quick work of attaching the hinges.

20220105_134404.jpg

20220105_134125.jpg

20220105_132604.jpg

20220105_134640.jpg

• Like 7

Furniture won’t arrive from Japan for a little while, but I have this thing ready to go. Final polishing will be after sharpening. Paint in the engraving is set. It’s a very beautiful Konosuke Fujiyama Sakai white 1 that happened to be in a fire. Saya and handle (went honoki with a blond ferrule) will be another “Milky Way” lacquer job. Three polishes and etches so far. 

I’m very bored, obviously. I even took a Rockwell hardness reading (see the notch in the edge: 62 on C), as I didn’t know whether the fire would damage the temper. I guess I’m making another Milky Way. Took the hardness reading on the belly/tip since that will be sharpened out. 

It looked less nice when I started: one big ol’ lump of carbon and oxidation.

This doesn’t mean anything to anybody, but this is the kitchen knife equivalent of completely cutting out brain tumor without hurting the brain.

4393541A-E6C4-497B-B65D-C870A987D313.jpeg

3010FBA5-F085-44BD-8830-5C1CE79E9C23.jpeg

Edited by EdipisReks1
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Knuckledragger said:

Dropped the tea cup I've been using for nearly 30 years. 😕  It was a nice big one, vs. the standard entirely-too-small sized ones.  

CDAxbxc.jpg

"The en" indeed.

Kintsugi: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kintsugi

the Japanese art of repairing broken pottery by mending the areas of breakage with lacquer dusted or mixed with powdered gold, silver, or platinum; the method is similar to the maki-e technique. As a philosophy, it treats breakage and repair as part of the history of an object, rather than something to disguise.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1