And now what did you do TODAY?

morphsci

14 hours ago, Knuckledragger said:

Visited some friends in the fine city of Gloucester (GLOAHstuh).  It's a wonderful fishing port

Reveal hidden contents

Also I have a really gross story of becoming very sick to my stomach and vomiting up psyllium powder.  That was one of the worst experiences of my life.  Imagine discharging orange tasting gravel via reverse peristalsis.  Would not recommend.

What you said.

And what I saw

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gloucester

Then I thought, well that is 50 miles from the sea.

Then the penny dropped - the one not far from Boston. Duh.

Well, my shit is fucked.  I'm OUT of heating oil, below 1/4 tank.  Oil co said "lol, we can deliver on Monday."  We're getting, uh, a foot of snow and ballfreeze cold between now and then.  I've got my two electric space heaters plugged in.  My sainted, octogenarian mother sent me a super helpful text encouraging me to turn up the head in case the power goes out.  It's going to be an interesting weekend.  Personally, I'm blaming Putin.

• Sad 6

3 minutes ago, Knuckledragger said:

Well, my shit is fucked.  I'm OUT of heating oil, below 1/4 tank.  Oil co said "lol, we can deliver on Monday."  We're getting, uh, a foot of snow and ballfreeze cold between now and then.  I've got my two electric space heaters plugged in.  My sainted, octogenarian mother sent me a super helpful text encouraging me to turn up the head in case the power goes out.  It's going to be an interesting weekend.  Personally, I'm blaming Putin.

Oh, yeezh, don't let the oil go down -- it's a pain if it gets to that point below where the oil flows from the tank into the intake -- it's like a fuel filter -- once the sludge gets into the system, it's an order of magnitude worse.  Please cut your fuel usage now before it hits that point and find other means of warmth.

Wishing you a a warm front.

Had the first parent visit on school campus since things got bad with the pandemic today. Saw the classrooms, met some teachers in-person, etc.

Good to see Esmé is paying attention in music class.*

IMG_5583.thumb.jpg.46cdd5e8be055f0d6eedb829404621cd.jpg

* BTW, Adopt Me is a favorite game, though I guess it could be a cry for help. 

• Like 12

Ended my 5 day "IRL surivial horror" run on less than 1/4 of a tank of heating oil.  I successfully got my driveway plowered and a full tank of oil delivered this morning. I had my thermostats set to 53 degrees since Friday and was running a pair of 1500W electric heaters just to keep the space manageable.  Would not wish it on my worst enemy. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 9

2 hours ago, Knuckledragger said:

Ended my 5 day "IRL surivial horror" run on less than 1/4 of a tank of heating oil.  I successfully got my driveway plowered and a full tank of oil delivered this morning. I had my thermostats set to 53 degrees since Friday and was running a pair of 1500W electric heaters just to keep the space manageable.  Would not wish it on my worst enemy. 

How small is your oil tank?  I've never had an oil tank that wasn't good for at least a month of actual winter use

Voltskool gets it.  My tank is 275 gallons, but "out is out."  I discovered I was quite low when I got back from Gloucester two weeks ago.  Many phonecalls and much runaround from my oil company and they said "we can't add you to the schedule this week" which turned into "over two weeks" when all was said and done.  That had the negative side effect of pushing any potential deliverly to the far side of this little blizzard we had here. 

I don't have a regular plow guy.  I haven't in years.  Trying to find one mid-season is the stuff of nightmares, especially as I live in the northern tip of a large (by MA) standards town and many outfits that claim to service my area see my address and say "lol too far away."  I'm lucky to find the guy I did.

I've used the same company for over 20 years.  In the first half of the 00s, I had them install a new boiler (this house still had its original 1967 unit at that point) to the tune of 8000 Dubya-era bucks.  They have taken a huge hit in terms of competence in the last few years.  They delivered the previous tank of oil I ordered to the wrong house.  My next door neighbor got himself an unexpected fill up (how that got paid for is still a mystery to me.)  That little kerfuffle lead to a day and a half of back and forth phone calls where I slowly got moved up the chain of staff at the oil company until I reached someone who had a clue what was going on.  "It was a new driver.  He said he had the right house because he heard the dogs barking and was on the brick paito.  Are you sure you tank meter works?"  I have a concrete patio and ...zero dogs.  Also, the house has been here for over five decades and hasn't, you know, moved from that spot.  This is to say nothing of me being a customer for over two decades.  

Last time I was in the oil company office to pay a bill I noticed they had wooden American flags for sale, made by some local craftsman.  These flags were quite huge and quite expensive.  One of them was the "thin blue line" bootlicker flag.  TBH I should have taken that as a warning sign and jumped ship right after.  It's a good thing I'm moving out of this house.

• Sad 2

5 minutes ago, Knuckledragger said:

They delivered the previous tank of oil I ordered to the wrong house.

Knew someone years ago who had an oil company show up and deliver to a hookup for a long removed basement tank. Flooded the basement. House was a total loss.

• Sad 4
  • Angry 1

I can remember at around age 14, our heating oil tank running dry in February. Not only was it dick shriveling cold, but our water well pump was also heated via heating oil. So of course the pump froze. This required bringing up buckets of water from the creek in the backyard, which was only partially thawed due to the speed of the running water. Not having enough time to heat the water, we'd dip our heads in the bucket, lather up with shampoo then my Mom would pour this freezing water over our scalps to rinse. It felt like a million tiny, frozen needles.

Good times!

Edited by swt61
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

I did a lot of things, but being followed home by a PI (I made them immediately, and my pulling into a police department parking lot wasn’t unsubtle enough apparently: “I’ll fucking kill you right now” apparently suitably unsubtle) who had been hired to serve somebody with almost but not quite my name made for an interesting few moments. 

I don’t even think this variety of being served is legal in Ohio. I’ve been served papers (divorced twice, after all) and most of the time they don’t even bother with certified mail (“most” being “all”).

A… particularly difficult parental situation? well, regardless, whomever cares about James should hire a better PI.

Edited by EdipisReks1
  • Confused 3