And now what did you do TODAY?

morphsci

The other major thing that happened to me today (and honestly at the time I figured was the only major thing) is that I have sort of “officially” transitioned from being my mother’s son to being her care taker. There is overlap. 

I think this is a lot better for both of us. It’s… at least honest. 

Her hip replacement is semi-firmly set for April 12th. I’m hoping improved mobility will help her. Surely it can’t hurt. 

• Sad 3

Heal well and heal quickly Steve. 

My 85 yr old uncle accidentally cut his middle finger off at the first knuckle.  Stopped. Cleaned up the shop.  Cleaned himself up. Then drove to ER.  The finger was too badly mangled to reattach. 

Came home and finished his project that night before calling it a day. 

• Thanks 1

I did this early in the morning. I rinsed it, wrapped it and sealed it with the thumb of a rubber glove. Then finished out the day. It really hasn't hurt at all. Small twinge of pain when I bump it, but nothing major at all. Didn't even throb the first night, which really surprised me. I've been rinsing it daily with a very diluted water and hydrogen peroxide solution, which is what the hand Dr. told me to do when I cut it 6 years ago. I clean it and wrap it in the evening, then bag the hand when I shower. I'm following the same routine as 6 years ago and it's looking good. The only real difference is that I was about $3,000.00 lighter last time, and was forced to take two months off work. Today I framed the "tree house" at the bookstore, and had no difficulty. 

Plus it's fun showing the pics to all the straight carpenters, and watching them grimace. 

• Like 9

Donkey's years ago, my Dad really mashed his thumb.

My Dad could never afford a decent car, so he had a succession of old beaters. One day he was working on the starter motor, and for whatever reason needed a hefty 2lb hammer.

He picked a one that my Grandad (by this stage, dead) has fettled, by replacing the shaft. But he has put the head on at a jaunty angle of maybe 15 degrees or so the the shaft axis. So my Dad (a quarter century dead himself by the way) took a massive swing with this thing - and of course the head missed the target and hit his thumb. Which split wide open.

Of course his hands were coated in black grease and road dirt, not ideal for sterility, and he had to press on to repair the starter, and put it back in the car, before he could drive to the Hospital.

I really cannot recall him making a big fuss about this. Other than quietly cursing his Dad for the "repaired" hammer!

Come Monday he got in the car and drove to work. Tough cookie.

• Like 4

Working on modern cars is always an injury waiting to happen. 

Busted knuckles  are part of the process. I'm not looking forward 

to changing sparkplugs on the v6 Camry. The cowl and the intake manifold

need to come off.  I try to use mechanic gloves, but at some point they

come off to get that hard to reach bolt out. And then you find that

sharp edge.

@ktm - i feel your pain, almost literally.

Yesterday, for the second time in six months I had the dryer almost fully apart. 

Midway thru:

5DEB8B22-91DC-4E8C-9AA2-12990FDD9579_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.29613f15607aafc738121142b41e9956.jpeg

The last time I "fixed" it the problem was just that the belt had jumped the idler pulley. I did notice while I was in there that the belt had a good sized crack but the need to continue to do laundry trumped the need to fix everything.  It's only about an hour to get to that level of disassembly.  So when it started making a weird screeching noise last weekend I ordered a maintenance kit (belt, idler assembly, and some other misc. bits) for a whopping $40.  Andrew and I started disassembling it yesterday around 8:30 and two hours later had a fully functioning, much better sounding, 12+ year old dryer.  

• Like 13

15 hours ago, NotoriousBIG_PJ said:

I logged onto head-case for the first time since 2018. Seems pretty dead around here. My CD player was deemed unrepairable so I'm on the source hunt again. I put in an order for a DNA Stellaris 9 months ago. Haven't changed anything in my system in over 5 years.

Biggie.

Be the change you want to see. What are you looking for in a source?

10 hours ago, Beefy said:

Be the change you want to see. What are you looking for in a source?

I like the music to have some weight, smooth, soundstage depth and balanced sound.

I demoed the mola mola dac a couple months back. It was nice, but my CD player was still less fatiguing to listen to.

Looking back though, I've demoed a ton of dac's in the $5k-15k range over the past 8 years and they have all disappointed in a similar way.  But I've always been hooking them up to my desktop through USB, so I'm thinking I need to demo the mola mola again with using Roon or a decent transport.

Biggie.

10 hours ago, NotoriousBIG_PJ said:

I like the music to have some weight, smooth, soundstage depth and balanced sound.

I demoed the mola mola dac a couple months back. It was nice, but my CD player was still less fatiguing to listen to.

Looking back though, I've demoed a ton of dac's in the $5k-15k range over the past 8 years and they have all disappointed in a similar way.  But I've always been hooking them up to my desktop through USB, so I'm thinking I need to demo the mola mola again with using Roon or a decent transport.

Biggie.

Well, you called my bluff, that is *well* above my paygrade/pricerange!

I was on a Boat 

IMG_20220324_100514.thumb.jpg.b70506556263fe546f9bcb908f6a2951.jpg

To San Francisco 

IMG_20220324_102729.thumb.jpg.830437c7b920da111fa7ec67e4522484.jpg

Where I benchmarked some Macs in the Apple Store

IMG_20220324_121904.thumb.jpg.ec6e505804e3309124e15d242a71a400.jpg

IMG_20220324_122207.thumb.jpg.38a221bf9f7a3d1fd7b6d31028a59f0a.jpg

In Union Square 

IMG_20220324_122747.thumb.jpg.0f876ea7b48c7f89b8f924ceedebddce.jpg

(Who knew they had their own IG account)

Had some lunch with a Colleague,

Then saw some Art at SFMOMA.

IMG_20220324_145938.thumb.jpg.d141d494b46d6bf29e0adbe671f5c9cc.jpg

There were signs of Normalcy,

But I have to say, The City (or what we saw of it, downtown) felt depopulated, compared to the "Before Times".

Even if there were 12K vaccinated nerds at the Moscone Center, for GDC.

• Like 8

Second day of packing our U-pack-it truck. They dropped it off yesterday at about 2:00 pm EDT and as of 5:00 pm EDT today we have approximately 75% of the house packed up and 99% of the heavy, bulky shit. Now sitting down for an adult beverage.

• Like 11

Getting ready to move the rest of our stuff that was not sent up to Vermont to our beach house rental where we will be living for the next 2+ months until Peter finishes high school (and the renovation finishes on our Vermont abode). Stay tuned for more later today.

• Like 10