And now what did you do TODAY?

morphsci

Thanks Nate. 

All the jigs shown there I already own, and they do make standard knob and plate installs much easier.

These old style cartridge style locksets need to be mortised too deep for any standard router bits. Generally 4 1/2" deep. The only tool I know of that works is a dedicated cartridge style mortiser.

140_imatge_m.jpg

Edited by swt61

The way the old guys did them in the past is how I do them now. I make a series of holes, close together with a 5/8" x 6" auger bit. Then clean up between holes with different size chisels. It's a lot of work, but it's the only way I know of short of buying the mortiser.

Lots of care is needed as the auger bit can easily wander off coarse, and can end up coming out of the side of the door. Or the bit goes too deep and rips through the inset panel of the door. Mostly what happens is the auger bit splits the door apart. That's why I clamp pieces of wood on each side of the door to prevent this. I've also learned to drill the first inch of all the holes with a forstner bit. These are much easier to control. Then the auger bit has guide hole to help it drill straight.

Luckily I only have to do these once a year or so. The last house I did these on had 17 of them. I feel lucky this one only has two.

20230307_095654.jpg.f2da65709ad1350b7753695702e1ef38.jpg

Edited by swt61
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

^Golden Gate Park? 

Went for a stroll around King Mountain with Joanne and some of the ladies from her book club.

Weather was nice, after all the rain, as were the views.PXL_20230401_182852017.jpg

And the wildlife.

PXL_20230401_190326031.jpg

Played "guess the price" with them  on the following properties. When a $5M miss is "close enough" 

http://www.kingmountainestate.com/

https://www.70ridgecrest.com/ 

I even managed to find the property video from 8 years ago when it was "only" a $2.2M tear down.

• Like 5

Yep, Golden Gate Park.

Funny thing about Suzy...

She's been walking in circles for a while now. She just keeps going over the same area over and over, and at somewhere other than home she will do it for hours. Even at familiar places like Al's house. She'll do it until she's so tired She'll just drop. At home She'll do it as well, but just for shorter bursts of time. Then she'll jump on the couch next to me and nap.

Today, before heading to GG Park, we bought her a new harness, because her old one is way too big now. And as soon as we got to the sight of the game, she started doing circles. But today she did circles around the young children of my co-workers. She used to be afraid of young kids, but today she not only circled them, which they thought was funny and great, but she actually sought out their attention. She let all of them walk her around on her leash, even to the point where she couldn't see me anymore. That would have been unheard of just a few months ago. It's really funny how the brain works, or changes. At 14 years old she's completely different than the dog I knew so well. Still as sweet and bonded to me as ever, but discovering new sides of herself. It's a journey we're both opening ourselves up to.

• Like 6

Things I have found while moving:

An unopened case of Life & Limb

An unopened case of Sam Adams Winter Classics from a decade ago

Several various bottles of Bourbon County when they were way less than $25/bottle...including a 3 bottle vertical

A JL Audio W7 in its ProWedge enclosure that I think I got from someone here (sorry, I forget from whom -- Jeff?  Chris?)

Several Pioneer SX-era receivers

Several guitar amp stands (you really only need one or two if you're a shoegazer or serious cork-sniffer)

Actual marbles (the lead/crystal/glass/whatever ones from the 70's)

Too many watches (Invicta, Android, one Ocean7)

A pair of Focal speakers

A SVSound subwoofer

An ancient pair of Mackie HR824 when Mackie was good

An HD-DVD player (does it matter what brand?)

Three Oppos

The purple turntable from Turntable Lab and a record cleaning machine (I never forgot the turntable, but I did indeed forget that I got a record cleaning machine as well)

Things I have not found:

my proverbial marbles

• Haha 5
  • Confused 2

So I have been trying out cables, and spending more than I normally would for some wonderful silver ones that seem to make a VERY noticeable improvement....as a result, Audiogon "recommends" for me the following....

I think one of these things is not like the other 😄

Recommended Cables.jpg

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, skullguise said:

So I have been trying out cables, and spending more than I normally would for some wonderful silver ones that seem to make a VERY noticeable improvement....as a result, Audiogon "recommends" for me the following....

Recommended Cables.jpg

Send all the extras over here for proper disposal :)

• Like 1

On 4/4/2023 at 3:14 PM, Augsburger said:

I note no wine was found...

It was never lost.  :rofl:

On 4/4/2023 at 5:35 PM, skullguise said:

Recommended Cables.jpg

I also found several interconnects, including my pair of Pure Silver Sound interconnects that were all the rage oh so long ago.

I do remember them sounding better than the others, but not sure why -- capacitance?

• Like 1

About two weeks ago I finished up a job (I'm now on a new job).

The homeowner Chris always had a nice plaid shirt on. We got to talking about plaid collections. Although mine was much bigger, he had all Pendleton wool plaid shirts. Very nice plaid shirts, for those not in the know.

Today my boss met with Chris and his wife. Pretty much a final meeting. Chris asked him to give me a box. 

This was the box...

20230407_130623.jpg

Pendleton has many styles. My favorite being the "Board" edition. It's  a casual style, not too western looking. And made to be worn untucked.

20230407_130634.jpg

A beautiful Board edition!

These are in the $150 neighborhood.

I love my job!

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

Grabbed a 100$ haircut + beard trim for my first "meet the team" lunch with a very interesting prospect job wise.

I've never had a "lunch interview" before, but this would be a job that would interface somewhat with my old job, except I'd be leading the account for one company instead of low-person on the totem pole for the old company.

Restaurant
https://stanfords.com/locations/northgate/

Menu
https://stanfords.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/12/Stanfords-Main-Menu_Web.pdf

Depending on what the head guy orders, that 12oz cut of rock salted roasted prime rib looks great, or perhaps the smaller rib eye.

I guess we'll see what's up in the morning, but the goal is to walk away on a good track to make more than my previous boss/grand boss, which would be just fantastic.

It was a pretty good sign where two former co-workers sent me that same job listing, and one of them had reached out. I went from the initial "hey, we got your name and want to put you in the pool, send your resume" to, after receiving resume, "that's a STRONG resume. I have a few people out at the show [ISC West in Vegas a couple weeks ago] I'd like you to try to meet up with. If not, we'll get together in the next couple weeks."

Looks like it'd be a really good match, and I have a LOT of good recommendations from inside that company, so gonna grab a drink, take a nap, and then try to figure out the ideal etiquette to handle a job interview in a restaurant.

Come to think of it, the last time I had a job interview in a restaurant was in the 90s at either DQ or Hardee's. Man, now I want a biscuit...

• Like 9