And now what did you do TODAY?

morphsci

Spent the last couple of days with my wife's side of the family for Christmas and good time was had by all, even though half folks couldn't make it for various reasons.

Got home tonight to find out the lens I bought off eBay recently doesn't work. I had received it late last week but didn't get around to trying it till tonight due to work and holiday travels. Now I wish I had checked it earlier.

Al and Claire graciously invited Joanne, a friend and myself to their family holiday gathering of the clan. The headcount was mid thirties, and division of labor had been applied to the food situation. Claire had jokingly assigned me "bacon surprise". Be careful what you wish for :) Hence last nights cooking marathon post-545-13564961894972_thumb.jpg And a production line this morning. But the resulting chocolate covered bacon, candied bacon and bacon wrapped goats cheese stuffed dates were well received. I think I may corrupted some vegetarians on the way. post-545-13564962468958_thumb.jpg post-545-13564962896182_thumb.jpg Thanks Al and Claire for a great time, hope you managed to find time out from your hosting duties to enjoy the evening and the great company (and the Bacon :) )

• Like 5

Just to add, there was more to the gathering than just Bacon. Al was on Traeger duty outside in a downpour to ensure that there was more than enough tasty meat for everyone, and Claire overcame the obstacle of having the stove die on them to produce a sit down meal for the multitude. A triumph over adversity. With bacon. :)

Grahame's Bacon Surprise was over the top and a huge hit. My favorite was the candied bacon -- or as my meat deprived 13 niece called it Honey Bacon -- but all three were great. Joanne was a trooper for allowing the massive bacon manufacturing effort and remarked that she helped with date and cheese variety because it was the only proper appetizer. A true Brit.

Here is the one shot of the Traeger in action right before removing the turkey and the larger of two boneless legs of lamb. The lamb was especially tasty, but the Traeger rarely disappoints and both came out nicely.

post-95-1356546158347_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

So many great stories here ...

- Shelly's bi-coastal Christmas

- Al's Mayberry bash with bacon ala Grahame

- jp's journey back to the hood

- Ric, Stephen, Nate, and others with the precious little children

-  Vicki out of the cast

- and others I'm forgetting

- finally, Santa Wayne's great stories here and elsewhere.

So nice to se all the holiday cheer and HC love.

Edited by agile_one

Thanks guys - it was actually a great day. As long as they don't last a really long time, I find power outages very relaxing. I decided to skip work and go in tomorrow instead (I only work 3 days/week), since the power was out across the whole region and I can't do much in the office without the computer. So, we (my family) went to Brandon (~1 hr drive, city of ~40,000, regional hub) and went swimming, shopping, and dining with some other friends who met us there. Good times!

Oh, and I should mention that the power was back on when we got home.

Edited by acidbasement
  • Like 1