And now what did you do TODAY?

morphsci

For us, ANPR offences have the backing of the law. And if you repeatedly ignore them the fine escalates, and then finally you end up in court.

Speed and red light cameras similarly. The killer are mobile speed cameras - basically a van with a window in the side. You cannot mess with these - you pay the fine, period. If you repeatedly ignore any of these these you end up in court.

Parking offences tend to get ignored. These are issued generally by third party outfits who send increasingly threatening letters and eventually just go away.

There are other camera based offences. We have something called a box junction; the rule is you should not enter the box until your exit is clear, except when turning right. So if you have two wheels in the junction - bosh - fine. This tends to be restricted to London. The trap is you have a green light, so you drive ahead. But the traffic in front stops and leaves you stranded in the junction.

Also only in London you can be fined for parking on the grass verge. Elsewhere in the country this is allowed.

So for anyone from the US or anywhere else and driving in the UK - you have to be aware of the driving rules.

They tried that whole defund the police thing here in Memphis  about 12 years ago.

The 1st thing to go was all driving sense. I see people driving 55mph downtown

and blow through red lights all the time. I see accidents everywhere I drive.

They did a 180 and are trying to rebuild the police force.

There is a suburb that enforces the speed limit with zero tolerance. And the crime rate there is a fraction

of what it is around it. It literally drops like a rock at the city limits.

I guess hoodlums don't like to be pulled over by police.

3 hours ago, Craig Sawyers said:

For us, ANPR offences have the backing of the law. And if you repeatedly ignore them the fine escalates, and then finally you end up in court.

Speed and red light cameras similarly. The killer are mobile speed cameras - basically a van with a window in the side. You cannot mess with these - you pay the fine, period. If you repeatedly ignore any of these these you end up in court.

Parking offences tend to get ignored. These are issued generally by third party outfits who send increasingly threatening letters and eventually just go away.

There are other camera based offences. We have something called a box junction; the rule is you should not enter the box until your exit is clear, except when turning right. So if you have two wheels in the junction - bosh - fine. This tends to be restricted to London. The trap is you have a green light, so you drive ahead. But the traffic in front stops and leaves you stranded in the junction.

Also only in London you can be fined for parking on the grass verge. Elsewhere in the country this is allowed.

So for anyone from the US or anywhere else and driving in the UK - you have to be aware of the driving rules.

I wish they enforced that “keep the box clear” law around here.

The London box junction zero tolerance is not automatic. There is a control room with real people looking at monitors. Even if your rear wheels are an inch inside the box - they click a button and bish bash bosh - you're done, matey.

It is not rigorously policed anywhere else, but drivers here are pretty good with boxes.

I'd not be surprised that the London control room is financially motivated. The more people you nick, the more you are paid. I don't know that for a fact, but they nick anyone for the most trivial of offences.

My favorite days at work are when I get to do something a little creative and unusual. 

This is the boss' new house. This is the back side of the new kitchen peninsula that I built. 

Will finish the other sections tomorrow. This was a crappy fence the previous homeowner built badly. Now it's kitchen art.

20211021_145539.jpg

20211021_145608.jpg

• Like 11