Need a bit isolation and good sound

yourmom

Not heard the DT48's - I had a pair of Beyers once (Darth Beyers) which I found a bit rolled off in the treble but huge boomy bass.

Sony R10's are great closed headphone but I doubt you'd want to go to the hassle of tracking down a pair and paying for them.

Didn't like the ATH-W5000 - the ATH-L3000 were better but also 4x the price, again if you can find a pair.

Hmm - if I had to wear a pair of closed headphones I'd either try a pair of Stax 4070, a pair of Thunderpants or a pair of Sony CD3000 and recable them with thick, well insulated copper cable (stock cable shockingly thin and bad). In that order.

Just remembered the Pleather earpads on the Sony CD3000 - I really, really hated it. Getting alternative earpads is imperative, if possible.

Forgot to mention the Denon D5000. They are also ok and probably closest to what you're looking for.

Is it wrong to say that in theory very large cups with good dampening should be the best alternative to an open design when you need isolation?
No, as long as you qualify it that way. But the thing is, a better designed headphone will always sound better than one that wasn't as well designed, closed, open, vented, reflex, transmission line or otherwise.