How do you get rid of Noisy Frogs?

Jon L

Frogs have not done well since the introduction of the contraceptive pill.

Women who take the pill have high levels of estrogen in their urine, which gets into the waterways and turns male frogs female.

Sounds like these boys have found a haven for frog masculinity. Let them have some fun first before you exterminate them.

Trace amounts of estrogen along with other stuff like ibuprofen and antibiotics have been found in drinking water, and then there is the growth hormones in various meats...

I (wisely) stayed away from the dynamite idea, but did make use of a submersible sump pump, which pumped for DAYS to get rid of most of the water. It seems to have worked with frogs so far, though I did hear them a little bit today..

img8671p.jpg

Good show. My grandparents had an equally neglected above ground pool that a neighbor abandoned. Luckily all it takes to drain an above ground, and keep it empty, is a good sharp knife.

@Al, nice pick with the Triplets of Belleville scene. Problem is I can't even think about that movie without getting the song stuck in my head. It's so catchy but so much more very French.

• 1 month later...

I am cracking up after having just watched that video. This thread rocks. :)

Poison the little fuckers.

I would think it was funny, too, if it wasn't so painful during the night. Researching the issue, I'm very close to conjuring up some sort of bleach or pesticide solution and spraying the whole back yard, multiple times.

Edited by Jon L

• 1 month later...

The abandoned house was just sold to an investor through foreclosure auction. Due to the fact the rains have stopped and summer coming, frogs can no longer habitate this dry hole in the ground. I understate the investor is considering just filling the hole vs. finishing the pool before selling the house..

5708479312_cd0dfc83e8_b.jpg

IMG_0624 by drjlo2, on Flickr

• 3 years later...