Help w/ splitting headphones 16x on speaker outputs

FairTax

They used to do it for classrooms, and I have a similar program for 16 listeners. I'm on a small budget and can't afford a headphone amplifier. I want to use an old stereo amplifier of about 5-10 or 20 watts (which is really two amps in one box) on a TV output source. A switch on the panel will unify the stereo to mono left amp, and right amp. I have a Telex model 753 mono passive headphone splitter with 8 each 1/4" mono inputs, for one channel, and parts to make an identical splitter for the other channel. (there's not even so much as a resistor in the box, just wire and phone plugs) Now, with two splitters on Left and Right speaker output channels, I plug in up to 16 mono classroom headphones. (12 or 14 sets will be different value than all 16) These oldies are 600 ohm beasts made for classroom use (they don't do stereo, circa 1962). My issue is, with an 8 ohm amplifier this load may reduce the load to 1 ohm??? Is that pushing it way too far??? The audio program is only "talking" no loud music. It's like having 16 tiny speakers in parallel on each channel. I may have to test it at VERY low volume. IS THIS THE BEST WAY TO DO THIS??? please advise.

tempted to say to just get an FM transmitter and have them bring in something like portable FM radios. $10 a radio on amazon plus transmitter really adds up, but maybe they have their own?

Here is this: http://www.ramseyelectronics.com/cgi-bin/commerce.exe?preadd=action&key=AM1C http://www.amazon.com/Sony-ICF-S10MK2-Pocket-Radio-Silver/dp/B00020S7XK

BTW, in my classroom, we use computers with headphone jacks or a speaker when everyone is listening to the same thing.

Edited by manaox2