%#*&^%*&%^ wallpaper

dBel84

We knew what we were buying and we bought it anyway, now the wallpaper has to come down - 70% 0f all walls are covered in some form and I want to do this once only if possible. I have seen scrapers/scourers, steamers etc

If you have useful advise , glad to hear it. For those with just advise, it always cheers me up so post away.

and I have considered getting a contractor in but that just seems wimpy.

..dB

I think we used Zep Wallpaper remover and it has worked well. Wallpaper... hate the shit! Still have a little in one bathroom and one wall of our bedroom. Maybe this winter. Do a search on Zep and you should get some hits on alternatives as well. First link I saw seemed to have some good advice.

Edited by Pars

The wallpaper in our bathroom was so thick that we had use a wallpaper perforation tool, otherwise the steamer had no effect. I'd suggest looking into one, it made a night and day difference for us. Otherwise we rented a steamer for a day to do the one room and also used a chemical to help soften the adhesive backing. I'm glad it was the only room in the house with paper.

Thanks , I will investigate local steamer rentals.

I don't think I have ever seen one of these but not sure I have looked for one either - wall paper perforator :-)

31A2PqPZ3dL._SL500_.jpg

The house unfortunately has its fair share of wallpaper - entrance & hallway, bathrooms, one bedroom, dining room. I know I will be cursing but beer and pizza should ease the pain..dB

I've stripped a bunch of wall paper. I bought a steamer, used the enzyme paste stripper stuff, and a perforator. I'd start with just the steamer. If that didn't loosen it, I'd perforate it and soak it with the enzyme stuff, then steam again. It's a messy messy process. If I had it to do over again, I'd burn the house down, and get insurance to build me a house without wall paper.

When I got my place, 80% was covered in silver foil wallpaper with a Japanese cherry blossom theme. I spent many miserable hours using Zep, a perforator thing and a scraper, and did just enough damage to have to spend many more miserable hours resurfacing the walls before I could paint them. I wished I'd used a steamer, but didn't know better at the time.

When I got my place, 80% was covered in silver foil wallpaper with a Japanese cherry blossom theme. I spent many miserable hours using Zep, a perforator thing and a scraper, and did just enough damage to have to spend many more miserable hours resurfacing the walls before I could paint them. I wished I'd used a steamer, but didn't know better at the time.

Yeah, in our last house we scratched up the wall removing the wallpaper in the dining room, and ended up covering it venetian plaster and polishing it (burnishing?) It actually turned out very nice. Nice enough that we did the venetian plaster in the new house dining room for a similar look.