Head-Fi NorCal 2/19 meet

Asr

Just a heads-up for the NorCal folks who don't keep track of HF these days: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/525693/bay-area-meet-california-february-19th-2011

Same location as last year's meet that Al did. Looks like an interesting meet especially with the vendors - Fang, Jason from Schiit, Doc from Bottlehead, Ultimate Ears, etc. The sheer number of people on the attendee list is astounding....

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I was pretty torn between participating to support the guy and being lazy.

I guess having my pal Doc B there kinda tipped the scales so I signed up for table space just the other day.

I think this'll be the first meet I've attended that I haven't kept up with the postings so this is the first I'd heard of the $10 at the door thing or the donation+raffle.

And since I've never organized a meet, I don't feel like I'm in the position to criticize stuff like that.

We'll see how it goes.

I probably exemplify the depths to which head-fi has sunk. I’ve been active behind the scenes and in the thread, helping CEE TEE organize the upcoming meet. He has never attended a headphone meet, and I’ve only been to one big or medium-sized one, the one that Al quite capably organized last year. But I don’t quite follow how this year’s HF event is so deplorable, even before it has happened.

I don’t claim to know a lot about cans or especially electronics, and don’t care to make headphones my hobby. I am a classically trained arts professional with advanced degrees in music, so for me these are tools, not an end in themselves. They need to be good enough, and appropriate to my purposes in using them. The variety of products is overwhelming, and prices are spread over a very broad spectrum, so I like to read and compare. Forums and particularly meets like those HF hosts are useful ways to inform myself about the options and range of quality in amps, dacs, phones and associated gear. I thought that was the whole idea.

CEE TEE has generated a lot of eager anticipation, judging from comments on the thread. Maybe it’s the wrong people? But look at the vendor list he’s compiled, some of the more interesting and respected in the biz. For a noob organizing a regional meet anticipating as many as a hundred (or more?) attendees, it seems to me that CEE TEE has done a remarkable job. We’ll know for sure next weekend.

I am most likely going to be driving up from LA. I'm hoping to fix the Menace somehow in the next week so people can listen to it.

I've been talking to CEE TEE in PM about the meet and he seems like a really nice guy. He probably wants the OP to be as noob friendly as possible, thus the pics, and I see nothing wrong with that. Good for him for taking on such a large meet. Hope to see some of you there. :)

I personally don't have a problem with pitching in to help cover the costs, but I'm of the opinion that it should be optional for those who attend. Sorta like "Hey, I really enjoyed the meet you put together, here's something to help you cover the costs."

As someone who has fronted costs on numerous meets, this position is not reasonable. If you attend a meet in a space that costs money to rent, then you should definitely pitch in to the costs unless you simply cannot afford even $5 or whatever. The issue I have with CeeTee's plan, is that he seems to be collecting money for the room plus he is having a raffle. I am not sure what the raffle money is for, but when most people are looking to raise money for meets, they do one or the other. Collect money straight up if they do not have raffle items, or they collect all money through the raffle if vendors or members have donated raffle gear. If there is extra, then most people simply buy some food or drinks for the crowd, or in some instances like ChiUniFi they say that they will hold the money and use it in the next one. That seems ridiculous and fraught with problems to me, but whaterver.

I probably exemplify the depths to which head-fi has sunk. I’ve been active behind the scenes and in the thread, helping CEE TEE organize the upcoming meet. He has never attended a headphone meet, and I’ve only been to one big or medium-sized one, the one that Al quite capably organized last year. But I don’t quite follow how this year’s HF event is so deplorable, even before it has happened.

I don’t claim to know a lot about cans or especially electronics, and don’t care to make headphones my hobby. I am a classically trained arts professional with advanced degrees in music, so for me these are tools, not an end in themselves. They need to be good enough, and appropriate to my purposes in using them. The variety of products is overwhelming, and prices are spread over a very broad spectrum, so I like to read and compare. Forums and particularly meets like those HF hosts are useful ways to inform myself about the options and range of quality in amps, dacs, phones and associated gear. I thought that was the whole idea.

CEE TEE has generated a lot of eager anticipation, judging from comments on the thread. Maybe it’s the wrong people? But look at the vendor list he’s compiled, some of the more interesting and respected in the biz. For a noob organizing a regional meet anticipating as many as a hundred (or more?) attendees, it seems to me that CEE TEE has done a remarkable job. We’ll know for sure next weekend.

Renlute-

You are good guy and do not exemplify the problems I and some others have with the bulk of the current membership on Head-Fi, and my comments at least were not intended to knock you or CeeTee for your interest and enthusiasm. I am not going to go into a long diatribe about the state of Head-Fi, but the fact that so few long-time members can be bothered to wade through all the drek and deal with stupid issues like concerns about hair nets and sanitary covers for headphones. I hope the meet is a great success and I am glad somebody has stepped up to take on the job of hosting.