iTunes alternatives for Mac OS X

Currawong

In the latest release it has multichannel playback on multichannel devices. Previously it was only stereo AFAIK. I'm not sure where that'd be useful, but I imagine a full 5.1 SACD rip could be played back through Audirvana to a multi-channel system.

Edited by Currawong

• 2 weeks later...

oh yeah, I really like Audirvana.  Kinda pricey, but I'll be getting this.  It's as functional as Decibel, and as good as Fidelia. 

I feel exactly the same way.  For the moment, Audirvana is the one to beat.  I was dubious when I heard all the praise, and happy with Pure Music, but I really prefer Audirvana now.  I went ahead and bought it.

In the latest release it has multichannel playback on multichannel devices. Previously it was only stereo AFAIK. I'm not sure where that'd be useful, but I imagine a full 5.1 SACD rip could be played back through Audirvana to a multi-channel system.

Currently, the only Multichannel DSD method I'm aware of is three Mytek 192s stacked on top of each other, and using a hacked copy of JRiver Media Center for Windows.  You could convert the DSD info on an SACD to PCM and play it back, I imagine, but where's the fun in that?

See the DSD thread for DoP playback of "wrapped" DSD (multichannel?)

DoP is just how you get the bits to the DAC, though, right?  It's not an actual PCM conversion, just a DSD wolf in PCM clothing.  

I know Mytek was working on a firmware 8 channel DSD solution for their 8x192 Pro AD/DA box, but they never got more than 2 channels of DSD conversion working at once.  Perhaps that could be revisited with the new Audirvana.