Any opinions on the Moscode 402au power amp?

minimus

The Moscode 402au amp has received good reviews (probably meaningless) and is also well-liked by people who own it or have heard it. The amp has a tube input stage and a MOSFET output stage, and can be bought new for $4900...so it's a bargain.

Has anyone heard it and care to comment? And can any DIY builder tell whether the amp has a good design or is overpriced crap?

I am tired of listening to my McIntosh MC275's anemic bass and am mulling a new amp purchase. The Moscode is the current front-runner, with the Ayre V5-xe a close second.

I've heard both the Ayre and the Moscode in different systems but with the speakers I own. I think the Ayre is the better amp. But be warned its weak point is the bass. Not as good as the Moscode. But still a better all round sounding amp IMO.

Thanks, that is helpful feedback.

Can I ask what amp and speakers you are using? And do you think I should be looking at any other solid state or hybrid amps in the $5K-$7K range besides the Ayre V5X-e and the Moscode?

Maybe not in the same league (but maybe they are?) Odyssey Stratos. Like this one: My link

Or if you wanted a hybrid (tube front-end), Counterpoint SA-100 or SA-220. Here is an upgraded one: My link

EDIT: Odyssey is Symphonic Line RG1 IIRC

Almost :D I had both Stratos and new RG1 Mk4, I think, is a bit nicer.

Edited by faust3d

Thanks for all the suggestions. Most are pretty affordable too.

Are the Stratos at all bright or fatiguing?

Not a all, very tube like sounding for large SS amps. Odyssey licensed design from Symphonic Line and even got them to make boards for them, so Stratos are almost like SL amp, but still build quality and parts a bit different so is the sound. They are close, but I got a good deal on SL and slightly preferred the sound, a bit warmer and tonally more correct than Stratos.

Not a all, very tube like sounding for large SS amps. Odyssey licensed design from Symphonic Line and even got them to make boards for them, so Stratos are almost like SL amp, but still build quality and parts a bit different so is the sound. They are close, but I got a good deal on SL and slightly preferred the sound, a bit warmer and tonally more correct than Stratos.

Interested in what you find tonally inaccurate WRT the Stratos? I find mine to be perhaps slightly warm but really quite neutral. I have not listened to the SL amps however.

To the OP: the build quality of the Stratos is nothing short of amazing, particularly considering the price point. Heavy anodized aluminum case, face panel, etc. Internally they are built very well also. I'm curious as to what effect the Extreme and Glass Ceiling variants have on the Stratos. I've been thinking of talking to Klaus to see what upgrades would run me. Mine is a Stratos Plus (basic Stratos with the 120,000uf cap upgrade). Apparently there is a new higher-end Odyssey amp out, the Kismet. Check out audiocircle for the Odyssey forum for more info

Odyssey forum

Interested in what you find tonally inaccurate WRT the Stratos? I find mine to be perhaps slightly warm but really quite neutral. I have not listened to the SL amps however.

Lower mids are a bit thick and have a slight coloration compared to SL amps in my system. Also SL amp seems to have a slight edge on imaging capabilities, but they are very similar and that makes Stratos a very good deal. I have read reviews that state that Stratos is not tube like at all, but this was not my experience, compared to some other SS amps it's actually much more grain free and warmer that your average big SS amp.