System Overhaul Thread

luvdunhill

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ha

Yeah, I've offered him my F5, which is basically done, but will need a few small modifications for speakers (just has K1000 output now).

Most likely he'll get the PASS integrated though, and have a one box solution. Source is another story all together.

Craig, whenever I finally build my own house, I will build a large subwoofer enclosure under the floor or stairway, that will vent into the main listening room. Most likely not a horn, but a seriously large enclosure, with 18" drivers.

Edited by swt61

Craig, whenever I finally build my own house, I will build a large subwoofer enclosure under the floor or stairway, that will vent into the main listening room. Most likely not a horn, but a seriously large enclosure, with 18" drivers.

Woof woof! That sounds like a serious way of moving a large volume of air. One of my unfinished projects is a pair of dipole sub woofers to reinforce the output of my ESL57's. Used Shiva X2 drivers http://www.diycable.com/main/product_info.php?products_id=693 which have a maximum power handling of 1kW, although they do a very serious 18" or 21" driver - the Maelstrom, which can handle 1.5kW with a peak-peak excursion of 64mm (2.5"). 'Nuff to blow the windows out.

Nelson Pass has done some really crazy things with bass drivers - such as the KleinHorn http://www.passdiy.com/pdf/KleinHorn.pdf and El-pipe-O http://www.passdiy.com/pdf/el-pipe-o.pdf

Any recommendations for something like a Ayre C-5Xe-MP or Krell EVO 505, but with a digital input?
Yeah, that's the holy grail, innit? I'm going with the Oppo BDP-95, myself. Not quite a digital input, but it will take a USB drive. Plus it has networking, I'm wondering if that can be used to read a NAS.

Any recommendations for something like a Ayre C-5Xe-MP or Krell EVO 505, but with a digital input?

APL? :D

What about some of the newer Accuphase units? Their players have had digital inputs since the early 90's.

Edited by spritzer

Thanks! Very helpful.

I just bought some of this:

20 PCS. 1/8 x 12 3/4 x 20 BENDING BIRCH PLYWOOD

That's way more than I need, so if anyone would like some... The front horn requires a specific curve. I remember back in high school drafting we had these moldable pieces of plastic that worked much better than the French curves to connect dots for curves. Anyone know what these are called?

Thanks! Very helpful.

I just bought some of this:

20 PCS. 1/8 x 12 3/4 x 20 BENDING BIRCH PLYWOOD

That's way more than I need, so if anyone would like some... The front horn requires a specific curve. I remember back in high school drafting we had these moldable pieces of plastic that worked much better than the French curves to connect dots for curves. Anyone know what these are called?

I'll probably relieve you of some of the extra Marc.

I can probably work out the curves. The bending plywood itself makes a pretty good curve guide.

Edited by swt61

I remember back in high school drafting we had these moldable pieces of plastic that worked much better than the French curves to connect dots for curves. Anyone know what these are called?

In the UK they were call a Flexicurve. Green in colour IIRC.

Yup still available - in the UK around £5 depending on length (isn't that true of so many things). But they seem to have changed to blue.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd love to see you source this whole thing with a custom music server, controlled by monitor or touch-screen remote. If I was doing it all from end-to-end (don't you dare, Steve), I'd certainly run a music server over a disc spinner.

Computer Audiophile built a needlessly stupid music server, but I think it can be done better and cheaper (without, say, a $300 Korean mini-itx case).