USB -> SPDIF 24/96+ units

spritzer

I'm still using the Trends UD-10.1 but since it is limited to 16/44.1 I'd like to upgrade to something newer. Has anybody any experience with the newer models out there? Multiple outputs is a plus (I'm catching up to Dinny with the number of DAC's here) and I don't really care about the price or the size. I did a quick search and the M2Tech Evo looks good but what else is out there?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

M-Audio has something, but I don't personally have any experience with it.

If Toslink will do, there's the Transit I just bought from deepak, I have its predecessor, the Sonica, which I'm perfectly happy with.

I also seem to remember that Audio-Technica had some things on audiocubes, but I'm not finding them any more.

I'm sure there are others, I'm just not remembering them right now.

I have the Musicland USD1 and like it a lot, you can ask Guzziguy, Zippy and 909 who have all heard it in my office system.

If You Can Stand The Pain of 59 Pages

The Musiland did sound great in Augsburgers office, so much so that I bought one too.

There are many more options out there, so a lot of it depends upon budget. My wallet is thin, so I opted for cheap and pretty good sounding.

I use this in my office with the MF V-DAC which sounds is not perfect, but good enough for office work.

Price isn't an issue for me. I've put all my regular CD's into storage so this is my main means of listening and with a BHSE and a T2DIY in the same system I can hardly skimp on the source. :)

My computers all run Windows so that isn't an issue.

Edited by spritzer

The Wavelink is intriguing but only one output is a no go for me. It sucks to be a gear whore sometimes... :D

Are you not using the APL much these days?

No, it mostly just sits there. Time is the issue here as I haven't had a day off in months so I don't want to mess with the system too much. I've been using the Rakk Dac I got from Nate a lot lately and I'm too bloody tired to swap all the cables. :mellow: I'm going to buy a new Dac though but haven't decided which (Accuphase, ML 30.6 etc.)

Just got my V-Link today. Wow, pure plug and play bliss.

Plugged it in, and blamo! Just works.

I have it hooked into the Coaxial SPDIF input in my HifiMan HM-801.

The V-Link may be a fairly large brick for what is does, but for being under $200, I don't care at all!

You might also want to consider the HRT Music Streamer II. It has received some excellent reviews and offers some significant features not usually found in the $150 price range like a true isolated split-rail power supply and USB ground isolation (which solves the common ground loop problems when USB DACs are connected to other AC powered gear). Plus it's even designed and made in the USA which is kind of a miracle at that price.

I haven't tested one yet, but I hope to. My guess is for anyone looking for an accurate and transparent DAC, it will easily rival a lot of much more expensive options.

You might also want to consider the HRT Music Streamer II. It has received some excellent reviews and offers some significant features not usually found in the $150 price range like a true isolated split-rail power supply and USB ground isolation (which solves the common ground loop problems when USB DACs are connected to other AC powered gear). Plus it's even designed and made in the USA which is kind of a miracle at that price.

I haven't tested one yet, but I hope to. My guess is for anyone looking for an accurate and transparent DAC, it will easily rival a lot of much more expensive options.

But that's not what the OP is asking for...

Yeah, I've tried the HRT and it isn't bad but not terribly good either. Fine for that role but with access to far better DAC's I'll take a USB->SPDIF over it any day.

I guess I've settled on getting an M2Tech Evo and building a new PSU for it. Now I just need to find someone who'll ship it here or call in some favors from my US friends. :)

But that's not what the OP is asking for...

I was thinking the Streamer II had a digital output and, being cheaper than the V-Link plus the isolated USB, would be worth considering. But I just checked, and you're correct. Too little caffeine this morning....

I just bought an m2tech hiface. Coming from teac by ups ground. I'll let you know how it performs. Really the best thing is to have the crystal oscillator in the dac as spdif means another PLL is involved. But I needed the flexibility to use existing dacs that i have. Asynchronous with the Centrance driver is the way to go. They have their software and hardware drivers down pat. Centrance has licensed their technology to many manufacturers and have just come out with a USB dac themselves

http://www.m2tech.biz/