There's been an explosion at the Fukushima nuclear plant...

archosman

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-12721498

A nuclear expert on twitter (@arclight) speculates (with emphasis on that word) that the pressure release included a lot of hydrogen, which exploded. Light water reactors can't do a Chernobyl. Regardless, Chernobyl was the result of a huge clusterfuck of decisions. The guys here would piss on the reactor if that was what it took to cool it down.

Chernobyl was a 7/7 on the same scale, Three Mile Island a 5.

From many reports there were some more serious uranium fission products like cesium in the vented steam, and some locals (~20) have tested positive for these...... but this is still a long way from a true disaster, and the sea water cooling looks like it is having the desired effect. When it is all said and done though, I suspect that the plants will be complete write offs.

and i think they have been doing great, considering they were hit by one of the strongest earthquakes in human recorded history followed immediately by a tsunami.

Absolutely. The entire backup generator system was neutered by the tsunami, and yet things are still largely under control. It won't be hard for future systems to be raised to prevent tsunami damage.

Edited by Beefy

They are now fear that there could be a melt down to the core of the two reactors. Hope situation will improve soon. Heck earthquake is bad, but a tsunami is worst. Given the number of the expect death toll, this is much better than the Asian Tsunami event of 2004.

Edited by purk

I dunno about the status of Stax, but Nikon is most likely proper fucked. Even champion fruit loop Ken Rockwell noticed (scroll down for relevant crackpottedness.) Nikon is perpetually back-ordered on most of their premium products in the best of circumstances. I can only imagine how bad the situation will be now.

Disclaimer: Yes, the availability of high faltuin' camera equipment over here is completely trivial compared to the devastation in Japan.