Grado earpad identification

Tyll Hertsens

I'm working on something I've been promising for a long time: measureing the effects pf various pads on Grado cans. But I need some help identifying them properly. Here's a pic of the stock pads I could round up (thanks to HeadRoom and Todd),

grado_earpad_photo_pads_110319.jpg

Left to right I think they are: small flats from old SR80; comfy pads from SR60; standard flats from Todd; bowl pads; and big bowl (what do people call these) from GS1000 PS1000.

First, is there common names people use for these pads?

Second, what are the other after market pads? I know of the Senn 414 yellow pads and the Headphile C-Pads. Anything else?

Last, what are the mods? I know of the "hole mod" to the comfy pads, and flipping it around to make a mini-bowl; and I know of the "tape mod" to the bowls, and the reverse bowl. Any more?

There are variations of the 414 pads.

• 414 as-is
  • 414 quarter mod (with quarter sized hole cut through)
  • Reversed 414 quarter mod (with the thicker side between the driver and ear - looks funny)

I've heard the big ones also called Jumbo pads.

Edited by purrin

Hey Tyll

I believe one of the old school Grado pads were called VWAP after the guy that made them. I want to say they were modded HD414 pads dyed black, but they might have been customs. It looks like a flat pad with the slits cut in, so I don't know if your first or third one might be one of them.

and big bowl (what do people call these) from GS1000 PS1000.

TTVJ calls them "Grado G-Cushion or Jumbo" pads. Some just say G-cush or salad bowls.

What flavor of Grados headphone will you be using for all the testing?

I can send you a new pair of HD414 pads if you need them.

Edited by digger945

I believe one of the old school Grado pads were called VWAP after the guy that made them. I want to say they were modded HD414 pads dyed black, but they might have been customs. It looks like a flat pad with the slits cut in, so I don't know if your first or third one might be one of them.

Yup, I have those. They're the HD414 pads dyed black with a flat pad sized hole and slits cut in them. Softer and comfier than the standard flat pads but I can't compare the sound on them since I lost a VWAP pad and the remaining one is pretty ratty.

I thought I'd throw in that I've also noticed there are two variations for bowl pads.

The current ones are like the ones Tyll has pictured, but there are also older bowls that have slots cut around the hole like the flats. I'm not sure what effect this has on the sound (if any).

Edited by pomme de terre