AT&T to buy T-Mobile USA

AT&T will exploit T mo's frequencies to increase their network, your phones will work just fine. More rural areas will benefit from HSPA+ that AT&T would not focus on for LTE 4G normally. In some ways its nice. But I expect that all carrier's cell phone plans will rise again and become more tight-assed on what you can do with data caps, etc. I was already feeling like the telco's were too monopolistic before and it was kind of obvious they were absorbing one another. I look forward to seeing the anti-trust investigation engines starting again. Slightly unrelated maybe, but I really don't see net neutrality happening anytime soon.

I have been a T-Mobile customer since late 2007 (when I told Verizon to piss off), I am mortified by this news. banghead.gif A friend of mine tweeted about it last night (marking a rare instance when Twitter has provided useful and timely information.) I'm pretty sure this will mean higher rates and worse service in my future. T-Mobile's network is mighty patchy out here in W.Mass, but my UMA-enabled Blackberry latches on to Wifi hotspots quite well. This makes it usable in all sorts of spots where it wouldn't be otherwise. T-Mobile has really good customer service and tech support. I don't think I can deal with the Death Star, I remember dealing with them in the 90s. hopping_mad.gif

• 4 months later...