MPX3 SLAM SE vs. Supra for Grados

Bob_McBob

Guest sacd lover

I don't think I would bother with a stepped attenuator on the extreme. If I were going to buy a single adapter, which one would you suggest? Also, which of those are the huge bling tubes? ;) ;) ;);D

Good idea with the stepped. I think you will be much happier with the normal pot using grados. The bling tubes are the 6as7/ 6080. The adapter is a must if you want much better sounding tubes and dont want to pay a fortune. Which adapter .... thats a tough one. I really like the 7N7. But with the ECC adapter can use so many tubes. Any of these tubes are inexpensive .... 7N7 = $8 / 7AF7 = $10 / 5965 = $2 .... yes $2 / 6414 = $11 / 6829 = $9 / 7062 = $7-9 .... and the 12AV7 is $4.

I am of the same opinion as 909 .... I dont like the EH 6SN7. An adapter will up the performance of the amp very noticeably and save you a lot of money in the long run.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Chris,

Thank You for your interest in our new Singlepower Extreme amplifier. We

will announce details and pricing information in the next day or two. This

one of the finest offerings at a value price. We'll offer a special price

as well for the first run.

Oh well, guess I've got to wait ;D

Kevin, as someone whose opinion I value greatly, I would love to hear your opinion of this amp once it's clearer what's in it.

Guest sacd lover

I told mikhail almost 3 years ago now to produce an amp like this.

Better late than never.

Earl: you forgot the 6336. and probably a couple of others.

I dont think this amp can handle the 6336 or 6528 ....

I think attributing the benefit of a push pull architecture to 3 oz of wire between the earcups and the amp is a bit of a stretch.

It affects the sound in some way assuming you believe aftermarket cables make a difference. I haven't seen too many comparisons of stock cable balanced, vs aftermarket balanced.

Thanks for the answer Earl

It affects the sound in some way assuming you believe aftermarket cables make a difference. I haven't seen too many comparisons of stock cable balanced, vs aftermarket balanced.

It's like saying better spark plug wires are what make most of the difference comparing a shelby cobra to the ac ace. Sure, it uses better plug wires. It's also got a 427.

It's like saying better spark plug wires are what make most of the difference comparing a shelby cobra to the ac ace. Sure, it uses better plug wires. It's also got a 427.

Oh I'm sure the spark plugs could do it. You should see the stickers on my car and the performance before and after.

I couldn't get this in time for the edit, but judging by the specs the Extreme should be able to drive low and high imp. headphones with ease? I would be using it with just my HD650 but I'm more than likely going to get an RS-2 (and hopefully find another HP-2)

Yes It drove every headphone I tried with ease. Even the 40 ohm R10s. I didn't try any grados but I don't think they would be a problem for the extreme.

Guest sacd lover

Yes It drove every headphone I tried with ease. Even the 40 ohm R10s. I didn't try any grados but I don't think they would be a problem for the extreme.

The amp at the Florida meet was using 5998 output tubes. Mikhail built :mikey2: another Extreme yesterday and when doing preliminary bench testing he found if you use the 6080 tube type there is about 2x the current delivery vs the 5998. He also tried some RS-1's and he said he was extremely pleased with how the grados sound with the Extreme. He basically said to me, "this is the best I have ever heard the grados sound". :dance:

So .... if this amp drives K1000's and the grados effortlessly with the 5998 tube types .... the 6080 will output considerably more power. There should be no concern with driving any headphone .... period. 8)

The amp at the Florida meet was using 5998 output tubes. Mikhail built :mikey2: another Extreme yesterday and when doing preliminary bench testing he found if you use the 6080 tube type there is about 2x the current delivery vs the 5998. He also tried some RS-1's and he said he was extremely pleased with how the grados sound with the Extreme. He basically said to me, "this is the best I have ever heard the grados sound". :dance:

So .... if this amp drives K1000's and the grados effortlessly with the 5998 tube types .... the 6080 will output considerably more power. There should be no concern with driving any headphone .... period. 8)

Something tells me that I'm gonna be really really happy with this amp when I get it. ;D ;D ;D

Well I just put in my order for the extreme. I went with a Plitron transformer upgrade, Blackgates for the power and cathode caps, a gain switch, Solen stage 1, and a single tube adapter so I can use some 12au7, 12at7, etc. for the gain in addition to the standard 6sn7. I can't wait till I get this bad boy.

Be prepared to wait 2 weeks (or forever) for an e-mail response! :D

It is actually quite frustrating dealing with SP. I much prefer to communicate this sort of thing by e-mail so I have a good record of the reply and can get my questions together more effectively. I know Mikhail is a busy man, but it would be nice if he made more of an effort to reply. I sometimes receive replies within a day, but at least 50% of my e-mails to him thus far haven't been replied to at all. I assume he just deleted them.

Bob,

If he answered every email he got he'd never get any amps built. I've seen the man's inbox, it is a scary, scary sight. I hear what you're saying though about the chain of communication but seriously, he'd be answering emails all day every day.

Here's a funny, vaguely related comparison for you - for the most part I've stopped posting pictures of the stuff that I build on Head-Fi simply because of all the idiotic PM's that I get afterwards asking if I'll build someone something, where I got parts, how I did this and that, etc., etc. I can't imagine what it's like for someone like Mikhail.

Yeah I tend to always call him just because I know e-mailing him is so hit or miss. I think he really needs to get the new website up and keep all the prices and options updated on the site. That would cover probably 90% of all the e-mails he gets.

I bet Mikhail gets tons of junk/pointless emails. Then when a customer or serious potential one asks via email a rationale question and no response is give within a reasonable time that doesn't bode well. And that?s for any business.

Mikhail is a nice guy. We spent around 90 minutes talking during our three or four telephone conversations about the MPX3 and other things. I did a lot of listening and learning too.

There?s got to be a way to somehow weed through the crap emails and selectively respond. I suppose most of my emails went unanswered so I gave up and used the phone. At least for me email is a quicker and more efficient way to communicate.

I never feel I get a firm grasp on SP prices. And I mentioned this to Mikhail before that it would be helpful to read a brief description as to what each upgrade achieves. But I realize it isn?t so easy to write something up and add it to the a site. I assume clearer pricing, descriptions about upgrades, a few packaged custom amps with description, and info, pricing about the new stuff in the pipeline would reduce a lot of questions. It?s easier and less time consuming to answer something once instead repeatedly.