MPX3 SLAM SE vs. Supra for Grados

Bob_McBob

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest sacd lover

I talked to him about my amp awhile ago. I asked him why he didnt put the ad up yesterday and apparently he was in bed ill all day. The ad should go up today ..... intro price will be $899 .... but dont hold me to that. The intro price will probably be good until December 31st .... again dont hold me to that. Thats an incredibly good price for an amp that is great sounding, has more than twice the power of a Zana .... and can drive k1000's.

I talked to him about my amp awhile ago. I asked him why he didnt put the ad up yesterday and apparently he was in bed ill all day. The ad should go up today ..... intro price will be $899 .... but dont hold me to that. The intro price will probably be good until December 31st .... again dont hold me to that. Thats an incredibly good price for an amp that is great sounding, has more than twice the power of a Zana .... and can drive k1000's.

Earl, have you heard it? That's a good intro price... Are you getting any upgrades or just the base model?

I hope Mikhail gets better. I think he?s been sick a few times within the last year or so too. It really sucks being sick.

Guest sacd lover

Earl, have you heard it? That's a good intro price... Are you getting any upgrades or just the base model?

I hope Mikhail gets better. I think he?s been sick a few times within the last year or so too. It really sucks being sick.

The Extreme is a scaled down version of this Supra. He perfected the circuit working on my Supra .... and Tkams 6528 amp. The only option I am getting is a power transformer upgrade.

HPIM0035.jpg

Congrats! Your amp quest now seems complete. Next item of business... getting tubes... 8)

The Extreme is a scaled down version of this Supra. He perfected the circuit working on my Supra .... and Tkams 6528 amp. The only option I am getting is a power transformer upgrade.

I like the look of those old school SP amps. I think it would be awesome for Mikhail to do an updated retroversion in black.

I assume your Supra sounds similar then. It must be cool helping Mikhail out a little bit with the design process, giving him feedback based on what you?re hearing. The more ears the better. ;D

Guest sacd lover

Ordered! :D

I got a stock unit with an ECC adapter, now I can have a look for tubes ;) Mikhail was offering me some crazy-ass tubes that normally go for $300-400 for $99 each, but I declined on the phone and can't remember anything about them now ::)

Probably the Bendix 6080 .... a seriously good tube. O0

Guest sacd lover

Hmm I wonder how my decked out extreme would compare to the amp it was based on. ;D

Probably very well. You will have the Plitron which is an absolutely first class power transformer and the cap upgrades. My Supra is basically stock. The Supra will have better power supply filtration and the large resevoir caps, however. I am getting an Extreme but I am only upgrading the power transformer with a higher capacity unit thats the same type as the stock unit.

Probably very well. You will have the Plitron which is an absolutely first class power transformer and the cap upgrades. My Supra is basically stock. The Supra will have better power supply filtration and the large resevoir caps, however. I am getting an Extreme but I am only upgrading the power transformer with a higher capacity unit thats the same type as the stock unit.

:dance: :dance:

Speaking of my 6528 amp I should be getting it back early next week (I'm hoping Tuesday). I was talking with Mikhail a little while ago about just how over the top for my amp is for headphones. When I have it running 6528s as output tubes total draw on the power supply is about 17 amps :laugh:

Guest sacd lover

Speaking of my 6528 amp I should be getting it back early next week (I'm hoping Tuesday). I was talking with Mikhail a little while ago about just how over the top for my amp is for headphones. When I have it running 6528s as output tubes total draw on the power supply is about 17 amps :laugh:

I was going to add a 14 amp power transformer with the idea of driving 6528's. 17 amps :o

I guess not? :'(

Well I just put in my order for the extreme. I went with a Plitron transformer upgrade, Blackgates for the power and cathode caps, a gain switch, Solen stage 1, and a single tube adapter so I can use some 12au7, 12at7, etc. for the gain in addition to the standard 6sn7. I can't wait till I get this bad boy.

Nice congrats!

I'm hoping to call him right after I leave. Going to use either 303 number posted on his website, are those the right ones?

I used 303-523-0581 when I ordered mine last night. It took me a few tries over a couple of hours to get an answer, but I'm sure he would have called back if I'd left a message on voice mail (I only had little snippets of free time to talk on the phone so I couldn't have him just call back).

Guest sacd lover

I used 303-523-0581 when I ordered mine last night. It took me a few tries over a couple of hours to get an answer, but I'm sure he would have called back if I'd left a message on voice mail (I only had little snippets of free time to talk on the phone so I couldn't have him just call back).

My Extreme was supposed to ship last night. I am looking at Friday or Saturday for the amp to arrive. Yes I am psyched up. :dance: