Capitals vs Rangers - Washington in 5

Flyers vs Sabres - Sabres in 6

Bruins vs Habs - Bruins in 5

Penguins vs Lightning - TB in 6

Canucks vs Hawks - Vancouver in 6

Sharks vs Kings - Kings in 7

Wings vs Coyotes - Detroit in 7

Ducks vs Predators -Ducks in 7

Any rags fan want to repeat my bet from last year with GPH?

Here's mine (from a closet hockey fan until this year):

Capitals vs Rangers - Washington in 6

Bruins vs Habs - Bruins in 6

Penguins vs Lightning - Pens in 5

Canucks vs Hawks - Vancouver in 6

Sharks vs Kings - Sharks in 6

Wings vs Coyotes - Detroit in 6

Ducks vs Predators -Ducks in 7

Wow, some major variations! I guess it's a crapshoot, the way some of these teams have played and not played recently.

Me:

Capitals vs Rangers - Rangers in 7 (Cap's got better defensively this year, but I think some of the D's injuries will hurt them in playoffs)

Flyers vs Sabres - Flyers in 5 (all depends on goalies, but the rest of the team is built well for playoffs)

Bruins vs Canadiens - Bruins in 6 (this could really go either way. If the Bruins don't let down, they'll take it, maybe even in 5; but can't say for sure if they will or not, they have an ugly tendancy to do just that)

Penguins vs Lightning - Pens in 6 (Pens just so gritty and deep, even without Crosby and malkin. I'm amazed at how well they've done; I think they'll out-grit the lesser TB defense)

Canucks vs Hawks - Vancouver in 5 (Canuck's home ice will give them nice advantage, though they sometimes choke a game or two)

Sharks vs Kings - Sharks in 7 (counting on a near-choke from SJ)

Wings vs Coyotes - Detroit in 5 (Detroit is Detroit)

Ducks vs Predators -Ducks in 6 (Ducks on a roll, always liked them)

Wow, some major variations! I guess it's a crapshoot, the way some of these teams have played and not played recently.

Me:

Capitals vs Rangers - Rangers in 7 (Cap's got better defensively this year, but I think some of the D's injuries will hurt them in playoffs)

Flyers vs Sabres - Flyers in 5 (all depends on goalies, but the rest of the team is built well for playoffs)

So the caps missing Wideman and Poti will mean a team without an offense will beat them, but the Flyers without Pronger or a goalie is a team that will win handily? Wow :)

I'll chime in here with my picks for the 1st round...

Capitals vs Rangers - Washington in 5

Bruins vs Habs - Bruins in 5

Penguins vs Lightning - Lightning in 7

Canucks vs Hawks - Vancouver in 5

Sharks vs Kings - Sharks in 6

Wings vs Coyotes - Coyotes in 7

Ducks vs Predators -Ducks in 6

So the caps missing Wideman and Poti will mean a team without an offense will beat them, but the Flyers without Pronger or a goalie is a team that will win handily? Wow :)

If the Flyers goalies show up, yes. I think they have more quality defensive depth than Washington....despite that Washington got better this year.

The big question is if the goalies will show up.....I am thinking they will do better than they have the last few; Flyers are the type of team that turned it on for the playoffs last year under a turned-hot goalie (two of them, actually). I also think of how the Bruins played physical against the Sabres and beat them easily enough, and the Flyers play that same style (and maybe have more goal-scoring capabilities too).

The Rangers are inconsistent on their offense, but they can and do burst occasionally. They aren't the "buy a cup" type of team anymore loading up with big name talent that doesn't gel, but have several strong players for depth; and Lundquist seems on a hot streak. Even with limited scoring, they win enough close defensive games....

Just my 2 cents....as I mentioned, several may be total crapshoots....I just hope the Bruins don't choke again, and look forward to some great hockey overall.

Without a doubt he's a major force, but he may actually be less desirable to come back against a fast-skating Buffalo team (and he is saying he expects to be back in that series). His effectiveness is more when he's allowed some leeway with his physical game. I think a physical but fast defense is what Philly needs for the playoffs and Buffalo at least. And again, the playoffs are just a different beast in general. Ask San Jose :P

I guess ultimately we'll only see in the next few days and weeks.....

Capitals vs Rangers - Washington in 6

Flyers vs Sabres - Philadelphia in 5

Bruins vs Habs - Boston in 7

Penguins vs Lightning - Tampa Bay in 7

Canucks vs Hakws - Vancouver in 5

Sharks vs Kings - San Jose in 6

Wings vs Coyotes - Detroit in 5 (if Zetterberg comes back, in 4)

Ducks vs Predators - Ducks in 7

Hats off, good game by the Habs tonight, disappointing for the Bruins. Lots of pressure, but not enough real strong in front of the net, and Price had good vision and played a very solid game.

Oddly, since the Montreal fans booed him (was it last year?) and he pulled the mock Patrick Roy salute, I've actually liked him (really, since after his rookie season). I'm glad he's doing well, just wish it wasn't against the Bruins....

I liked the Habs game tonight, it reminded be a bit of how they played against the Caps last year. They allowed a lot of shots on Price, but the front of the net was clear for most of the game. They scored on big defensive mistakes by Boston and otherwise did not open the game too much. They didn't get brutalized physically too much by the Bruins, but I somehow expect that to change in the next games.

BTW, in case anyone forgot, this is the 20th consecutive year that the Wings have been in the playoffs.

The Panthers are also coming close to this number, but for not being in the playoffs. :P

Yup. I'm on board with all comments made GPH and skullguise. The B's need to get much more traffic in front of Price and take the puck to the net. Perfect road game by the Habs, so hats off to them. I was a little pissed that B's fans started booing in game 1 of the playoffs though.

Also, to add to boomana's Wings comment, I think everyone should watch Datsyuk every chance they get, he is an under-rated artist out there. I honestly think at times he is pure magic with his space creation and puck protection. Hats off to the Sabres as well, they scrambled a bit, but Miller earned his SO.

Hats off, good game by the Habs tonight, disappointing for the Bruins. Lots of pressure, but not enough real strong in front of the net, and Price had good vision and played a very solid game.

Oddly, since the Montreal fans booed him (was it last year?) and he pulled the mock Patrick Roy salute, I've actually liked him (really, since after his rookie season). I'm glad he's doing well, just wish it wasn't against the Bruins....

disappointing... and with the Celtics, Red Sox both playing the way they are it's just compounding the average Boston sports fan's anxiety problem. I'd just like to get past round 1 (and see the Flyers get eliminated by the Sabres)