Cool Stuff

penger

I was browsing the web and found something I thought is pretty cool, but couldn't find an existing thread to post it in. So here goes...

http://www.urbanhardwoods.com/

lg1074_walnut_slab_dining_table_Large.jpg

lg927_maple_burl_dining_table_Large.jpg

All their stuff is done using reclaimed wood. I saw the "Day with Tim Lincecum" piece on CSN where he shows off his apartment in Seattle, and he mentions where he got what I think is a pretty badass table. Just thought I'd share.

Maybe this thread could be used to post random cool stuff--audio, tech, or otherwise that we find.

We have had luck with the North Carolina direct approach. You have to know what you want, but once you do you can save significantly. It might involve a trip out the first time, but it didn't in our cases. Has anyone else gone this route? We picked up a book on this and it had all the major outlets and what lines they carried.

Dinny, estate sales.

This. Check Global Auction Guide for sales and photos in your area. Be prepared to drive out of town. In general, the more remote an auction sale is, the greater likelihood that you'll be able to get a beautiful solid wood antique bedroom or dining room set for two dollars. My wife and I are slowly replacing our Ikea junk with auction sale booty, and it's amazing how cheap it is.

Edit: hmmm, can't get the link to work. http://www.globalauctionguide.com/

Edited by acidbasement

Slabs of that size are hard to come by, and that accounts for some of the cost. However, the labor involved in making tables, benches, etc... is minimal. It's much easier than joining boards together to build a wide piece, and there's no edge treatment. Sanding is also only on a flat plane.

This bowtie shaped inlay is known as a Dutchman, and is inset to keep large or small checks from opening up any longer. Simple but very effective, and now somewhat of a trademark.

Yeah. I've seen this in Arts and Crafts movement furniture. In that case (a large dining table in Cheltenham's museum) the bowties were of different woods and sizes and used partly as a decorative feature apart from the functional.

• 1 month later...